Wed, 28 March 2018
Our second sans-UFC weekend in a row gives Connor and Pat to discuss a wide variety of topics, including:
- Anthony Joshua vs Joseph Parker, two members of a new golden shiny age in heavyweight boxing
- Calvin Kattar vs Renato Moicano (!!!!!!)
- plus, Zabit Magomedsharipov vs Kyle Bochniak, another bantamweight featherweight showcase on the undercard of UFC 223
- The current state of striking defense in MMA
- Our favorite MMA slicksters, what made them great, and what's next
Thu, 22 March 2018
After a slight delay, Heavy Hands is back, and there is the matter of Jan Blachowicz to solve. Witness the thrilling conclusion of an argument you never particularly cared about. All of that, and:
- Is age finally catching up to Fabricio Werdum?
- Alexander Volkov's chances against the rest of the elite (and especially Stipe Miocic)
- How Jan Blachowicz's vaunted "technical striking" won him the day in an unexpected thriller with Jimi Manuwa
- Leon Edwards and Darren Till: complete fighters?
- Hakeem Dawodu, Magomed Ankalaev, and the archetypal Prospect Loss
- Listener questions from the Heavy Bag
All of that, and--need I say it--more! Enjoy the show, folks.
Wed, 14 March 2018
Your latest edition of Heavy Hands is a very spicy meatball. We cover fights. We shout at each other about one of them, and it's not even the one we care about. Then we talk about some of our favorite battles from MMA's mythic past. Topics include:
- Werdum's Brazilian Muay Thai vs Alexander Volkov's cold-blooded efficiency
- A big argument about whether or not Jan Blachowicz is Actually Good
- Related to the former, the long-awaited return of Passionate Pat, and his trusted sidekick, Incorrigible Connor
- Tom Duquesnoy on the comeback path
- The impending UFC debuts of hot prospects Hakeem Duwodu and Magomed Ankalaev
- Great fights that stand the test of time, and a conversation on the major differences between modern MMA and the bloodsport of old
Wed, 7 March 2018
Okay, so UFC 222 was a bit of a mixed bag, but think of it this way: it was the last UFC card for a full two weeks. That's right! Which means we had time to discuss all of the following on this week's Heavy Hands:
- Cyborg crushing Kunitskaya
- How Brian Ortega became the first man to ever finish Frankie Edgar
- Sean O'Malley's slick victory over Andre Soukhamthath
- Cody Stamann and Alex Hernandez notching big wins over ranked opponents
- Deontay Wilder's wonderfully weird and wild win over Luis Ortiz in the boxing ring
- And three thought-provoking questions from our listeners!