Wed, 19 June 2019
This week, we're looking ahead to Moicano vs the Korean Zombie, and the rest of UFC Greenville.
- Moicano's attritive range tools vs the pressure and crushing counters of Korean Zombie. What a fight, folks
- Rob Font was short on experience the first time he fought John Lineker. Has he gathered enough since, and will it matter?
- THE GOAT RETURNS. What chance does Alessio Di Chirico have if Kevin Holland is already beating himself?
- Connor's new favorite Kevin Aguilar is gonna punch Dan Ige so hard
Check out Heavy Hands on Patreon for more: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2439474
Direct download: 268_Renato_vs_The_Living_Dead.mp3
-- posted at: 3:49pm EDT
Fri, 14 June 2019
Our latest Patreon bonus episode, for your enjoyment. We look back at the stacked and absolutely stellar UFC 238 prelims, and evaluate the performances of Tatiana Suarez, Aljamain Sterling, Alexa Grasso, Calving Kattar, and their opponents.
So this is what a bonus episode sounds like. Some of them are shorter than this, and some of them are dedicated to topics rather than recent/upcoming fights, but it's pretty much just an unedited episode of Heavy Hands without music. Also, Phil has a tendency to share his more controversial (some might say offensive, or even sickening) opinions behind the paywall.
This, fight commentaries, and a breakdown of Horiguchi-Caldwell coming soon on the Heavy Hands Patreon.
Direct download: bonus_40_teaser.mp3
Category:Bonus Episode Teasers
-- posted at: 2:27pm EDT
Wed, 12 June 2019
We were looking forward to it, and UFC 238 delivered. Unfortunately, the delivery contained a spectacular win for Valentina Shevchenko, but hey, a tiny version of Tito Ortiz now holds two UFC belts, so it's not all bad. Our topics today:
- Did Henry Cejudo cleverly adjust after decisively losing the first round, or did Marlon Moraes throw the fight away while trying to knock him out?
- Valentina Shevchenko sustains herself by sucking the blood from newborn babies, but her KO of Jessica Eye was pretty cool, I guess
- Tony Ferguson is great, and he should not feel bad about it!
Catch the rest of our UFC 238 review on the Heavy Hands Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2439474
Direct download: 267_UFC_238_in_Review.mp3
-- posted at: 1:42pm EDT
Fri, 7 June 2019
Connor and Phil discuss the upcoming bout between Jimmie Rivera and cold-blooded murderer Petr Yan.
This is a teaser for our latest bonus ep, which you can find on the Heavy Hands Patreon. In the full episode, we also break down Suarez vs Ansaroff and Lamas vs Kattar, in addition to recapping Anthony Smith's win over Alexander Gustafsson last weekend.
Direct download: bonus_39_teaser.mp3
Category:Bonus Episode Teasers
-- posted at: 3:00pm EDT
Wed, 5 June 2019
It's here, folks. UFC 238 is right around the bend. So close, and so good that we could lose half of the matchups between now and Saturday and still have one hell of a lineup to watch. On this week's Heavy Hands, we discuss:
- Does Henry Cejudo have the right wrestling style to keep Marlon Moraes on the floor?
- Does Jessica Eye have even a little bit of a chance against Valentina Shevchenko? And do we really have to watch? What did we do to deserve this?
- Is Tony Ferguson too much of a slow starter to get the jump on Cowboy Cerrone?
There's more to UFC 238 than we could handle for this episode. Head over to the Heavy Hands Patreon for more undercard previews--Rivera-Yan, Lamas-Kattar, Suarez-Ansaroff--as well as our look back at the shocking results of Gustafsson vs Smith. Of course, we also broke down Aljamain Sterling vs Pedro Munhoz on last week's main ep, so make sure to check that out if you missed it.
Direct download: 266_UFC_238.mp3
-- posted at: 11:51am EDT
Wed, 29 May 2019
First, light heavyweights. The big boys are fighting, and none of them are quite as good as it as they'd like you to think. But next week... next week, folks, it's UFC 238, and it's been a long time since we've seen a lineup this good. Today on Heavy Hands:
- How much better is Alexander Gustafsson than Anthony Smith, really?
- Oezdemir vs Latifi: WHO WILL BOOP FIRST
- Did Devin Clark teach Aleksander Rakic enough to beat Jimi Manuwa?
- Aljamain Sterling vs Pedro Munhoz: a main event matchup that didn't even make the main card of UFC 238
Direct download: 265_Some_stuff_before_UFC_238.mp3
-- posted at: 3:30am EDT
Wed, 22 May 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we're talking about UFC Rochester, a card with a mixed lineup that delivered nothing but consistent action, and more than a few surprising upsets. After that, it's on to the Heavy Bag. Here are our topics:
- RDA finally has enough experience to defeat a slightly unpolished wrestler
- Having survived the horrors of the Hyrkanian fighting pits, Ian Heinisch has no fear of muscly BJJ guys
- Give Charles Oliveira a step up in competition! Either that, or let him fight Nik Lentz over and over for the next ten years. We'll watch either
- Heavy Bag questions: what makes a fighter "UFC level?" what other analysts do we like? how valuable is body toughening for MMA?
Direct download: 264_redux.mp3
-- posted at: 3:39pm EDT
Thu, 16 May 2019
You didn't pray for Jose, did you? Any of you. If you had, he would have won last weekend. Whereas now... well, now all of you are dead to us. Anyway, this week's topics include:
- Can RDA finally defeat a big, strong wrestler?
- Antonio Carlos Junior vs Ian Heinisch
- Vicente Luque vs Neil Magny DERRICK KRANTZ
- Was Namajunas headed for a loss even before Andrade KO'd her?
- How Alex Volkanovski outsmarted Jose Aldo on the feet, and the revenge we have planned for him
Direct download: 263_YOU_DIDNT_PRAY_FOR_JOSE_DID_YOU.mp3
-- posted at: 12:45pm EDT
Wed, 15 May 2019
Connor and Phil share a harmless laugh over the long-awaited destruction of Michael Page. This is a teaser for our latest bonus episode. You can hear the episode in full over on the Heavy Hands Patreon.
This week's main episode will be published tomorrow, due to last minute card changes. We hope this bonus ep will keep you sated till then!
Direct download: bonus_38_teaser.mp3
Category:Bonus Episode Teasers
-- posted at: 6:59pm EDT
Wed, 8 May 2019
Rose Namajunas has two wins over the greatest women's strawweight of all time. Now we're about to find out whether she's a fitting replacement. This week on Heavy Hands, we're talking about:
- Has Rose Namajunas gotten good enough to overcome the physicality and aggression of Jessica Andrade?
- Jose Aldo continues his quest to wipe out all the other featherweight contenders, this time against Alex Volkanovski. Pray for our boy
- Silva vs Cannonier, Trinaldo vs Ferreira
- How Donald Cerrone beat the rage out of Al Iaquinta
- Elias Theodorou vs Derek Brunson: an absolute masterpiece of a bad fight
- And Burgos vs Swanson, too
Direct download: 262_Pray_for_Jose.mp3
-- posted at: 2:16pm EDT
Wed, 1 May 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we have about a billion fights to talk to you about, and we're having a good time discussing each and every one. Next weekend, Al Iaquinta and Cowboy Cerrone throw down, whereas last weekend saw some fascinating action in both the UFC and Bellator cages. Our topics:
- Does Iaquinta have the footwork to stay in Cerrone's face?
- How does Derek Brunson manage to be terrified of Elias Theodorou?
- Shane Burgos and Cub Swanson--a repeat of Swanson's fight with Doo Ho Choi?
- Jack Hermansson fought a perfect fight, and that's great but we feel bad for Jacare
- Rory MacDonald's frustrating loss to a perfectly clean Jon Fitch
- Cory Sandhagen may not have deserved the victory over John Lineker, but he fougth a damn good fight
Direct download: 261_Albert_vs_Donald.mp3
-- posted at: 12:53pm EDT
Wed, 24 April 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we're still in emotional recovery from UFC 236, but the almighty schedule marches on. Russia last week, Florida this week. Aside from Greg Hardy's vile presence, though, it's really hard to complain about this upcoming main card. Today's topics include:
- Does Jack Hermansson have the subtlety to beat an aging Jacare, or will aggression be enough?
- Is Cowboy Oliveira the latest bruiser to bury Perry?
- What does bantamweight's Carlos Condit have for John Lineker that Rob Font didn't?
- Has Ion Cutelaba grown enough to beat crusty old man Glover?
- Overeem! Tsarukyan! Shevchenko! Oleksiejczuk! So many consonants and so little time
Direct download: 260_Pinhead_Mackenzie.mp3
-- posted at: 12:29pm EDT
Wed, 17 April 2019
We were only really watching UFC 236 for the two fights at the top of the card, and now that we're four days removed, we can still hardly believe what we saw. This week on Heavy Hands, we discuss:
- Why did Dustin Poirier end up being such a tough foe for Max Holloway?
- Does Max have a future at 155?
- Kelvin Gastelum's valiant effort, and the lessons he hopefully learned from Adesanya
- Khalil Rountree's career-best performance, and Eryk Anders' worst
- Belal "Remember the Name" Muhammad--our dude does it again
- Alistair Overeem vs Aleksey Oleinik: yes, this fight is happening
Direct download: 259_All_About_Oleinik.mp3
-- posted at: 1:08pm EDT
Wed, 10 April 2019
The main and co-main event of UFC 236 are so compelling, it feels downright cheap to think of the winner of either bout being rewarded with a UFC interim title. Might as well give 'em a UFC hotdog brander, while you're at it. Anyway, we're talking about all the good stuff on this week's episode of Heavy Hands.
- Max Holloway and Dustin Poirier--who's improved more over the last seven years?
- Does Kelvin Gastelum have the technical depth to trouble Israel Adesanya on the feet?
- OSP vs Nikki Thrillz: if there is a God, Von Preux
- Jalin Turner vs Matt Frevola--meaningless fun?
- Curtis Millender vs Belal Muhammad (we hope you remembered the name)
Direct download: 258_Holloway_vs_Poirier_2.mp3
-- posted at: 11:47am EDT
Wed, 3 April 2019
We have a UFC-less weekend ahead of us for what feels like the first time in an age, and that means finally answering your Heavy Bag questions. But before we can enjoy the nonviolence, we have to break down Justin Gaethje's huge KO of Edson Barboza last weekend.
- Why was Justin Gaethje an underdog, again?
- Phil explains his irrational hatred of Josh Emmett
- Sodiq Yusuff beating Sheymon Moraes in just his 7th pro fight makes his Lloyd Irvin affiliation all the more disappointing. He's really good, guys
- KEVIN HOLLAND
- What is "anti-technique," and is there such a thing as "anti-style"?
- Why is striking defense so consistently poor in MMA, and how can it be trained more efficiently?
- How do we pick up so many details when we watch fights?
Direct download: 257_VACATION_ALL_I_EVER_WANTED.mp3
-- posted at: 1:04pm EDT
Wed, 27 March 2019
- How can Edson Barboza survive a terrible style matchup against Justin Gaethje?
- What does Michelle Waterson have for Karolina Kowalkiewicz?
- It's a real shame Sodiq Yusuff is a Lloyd Irvin guy, because he looks really good
- What Anthony Pettis did well last weekend, and why he's still fundamentally the same guy
- Justin Willis' flat feet, and other reasons that he is not Francis Ngannou
- Maycee Barber's newfound grit
Direct download: 256_Night_of_the_Shattered_Femurs.mp3
-- posted at: 3:40pm EDT
Wed, 20 March 2019
Okay, so maybe, just maybe we're getting to the point where we could really use a break. This stretch of UFC cards has been pretty damn great, but uh... Stephen Thompson vs Anthony Pettis? What's up? This week on Heavy Hands, we're talking about...
- Is Anthony Pettis a sneakily tough matchup for Stephen Thompson?
- Does Justin Willis have the defensive wrestling to check the chin of Curtis Blaydes?
- Jussier Formiga vs Deiveson Figueiredo--a meaningless fight that should've been so, so meaningful
- Masvidal's KO of Till, and his backstage scuffle with Leon Edwards (Connor thinks it was cool, Phil thinks it was lame and is, therefore, a lame, himself)
- Why is Leon Edwards so good at fighting in his opponents' area of expertise?
- Did Oezdemir actually beat Dominick Reyes, and what does the fight tell us about two potential Jon Jones challengers?
- Nathaniel Wood, and Claudio Silva vs Danny Roberts
Direct download: 255_Phil_is_a_normie_who_likes_Hamilton.mp3
-- posted at: 2:19pm EDT
Wed, 13 March 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we've got a boatload of brilliant fight analysis for you. The UFC schedule continues, but we are thoroughly enjoying the start of the new UFC/ESPN era.
- Are Darren Till and Jorge Masivdal set to have another boring welterweight fight?
- Does Leon Edwards have the well-rounded skillset to nullify Gunnar Nelson's deadly specialties?
- Volkan Oezdemir is gonna boop Dominick Reyes. Isn't he.
- Why was Junior Dos Santos so uncharacteristically reckless against Derrick Lewis?
- Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos--grade A action fighter if the opponent is well-rounded; silent killer if they aren't
- Price vs Means, Dariush vs Dober, and Rocco Martin vs Moraes
Direct download: 254_Welterweight_Wango_Tango.mp3
-- posted at: 1:02pm EDT
Wed, 6 March 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, there are far too many fights, in the best way possible. We're in the midst of a glut of exciting UFC cards, and if that means the episodes get a little long, well... hopefully you're the kind of weirdo who likes that. We discuss:
- Jon Jones' easy walk over Anthony Smith
- Kamaru Usman's brilliant performance, and how Tyron Woodley's gambit finally failed to pay off
- Is Derrick Lewis another easy opponent for late-career JDS?
- Getting excited about how similar Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos vs Curtis Millender looks to Ponz vs Taleb (an instant classic)
- Yes, we talk about Herb Dean's controversial premature stoppage of Lawler vs Askren
- And, somehow, more
Direct download: 253_Too_Many_Fights_2019.mp3
-- posted at: 3:19am EDT
Wed, 27 February 2019
2019 feels like it's been off to a strong start for fans of face-punching, and UFC 235 is one of the best cards of the year so far. This week on Heavy Hands, we're breaking down six of the top fights.
- Jon Jones needs to eat, and Anthony Smith is just crazy enough to get eaten
- Can Kamaru Usman keep the pressure on Tyron Woodley without getting flatlined?
- How good does Ben Askren need to be to take advantage of Robbie Lawler's lifelong hatred of boring wrestlers?
- Cody Garbrandt takes a big risk returning against Pedro Munhoz
- Misha Cirkunov vs Johnny Walker, just to remind you what the REST of light heavyweight looks like
Direct download: 252_Feeding_Jones.mp3
-- posted at: 1:41pm EDT
Wed, 20 February 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we're breaking down the most light heavyweight of matchups, by which we mean a fight between an old white guy and a middleweight. That's right, Jan Blachowicz and Thiago Santos are fighting in Prague, and we're just sad that one of 'em has to lose.
Topics this week include:
- Does Jan Blachowicz have enough in common with the likes of Gegard Mousasi to outsmart Marreta?
- How will Petr Yan deal with John Dodson, his craftiest (and most frustrating) opponent to date?
- Damir Hadzovic vs Polo Reyes: your Luque-Barberena of the week
- Last week's very brief main event, Ngannou vs Velasquez, and Connor's abiding shame for having picked Cain to win
- Brilliant performances in challenging matchups: the gameplans of Paul Felder, Andre Fili, and Aljamain Sterling
Direct download: 251_HEROES_COLLIDE.mp3
-- posted at: 2:53pm EDT
Wed, 13 February 2019
You know how last week's card was shockingly bad for a pay-per-view? Well this next one looks shockingly excellent for something happening on cable TV. This week on Heavy Hands, we're breaking down six of the biggest and most exciting matchups.
- Is Cain Velasquez simply too broken down to make good on the obvious stylistic advantage he has over Francis Ngannou?
- Is Paul Felder's best chance against James Vick to take him down?
- Cortney Casey's sluggish-strawweight-Condit stylings against the inconsistent peppering of Cynthia Calvillo
- Kron Gracie has earned two very credible wins so far, but can anything have prepared him for the directionless madness of Alex Caceres?
- Does Barberena have the horsepower to come back from a Vicente Luque beating in the first round?
- Jimmie Rivera and Aljamain Sterling: bantamweight fucking rules
Direct download: 250_Free_Willie_Velasquez.mp3
-- posted at: 1:10pm EDT
Tue, 12 February 2019
Connor and Phil discuss Anderson Silva's valiant loss to Israel Adesanya, and also take some time to preview Bellator 216's MVP vs Paul Daley. This is a teaser for our latest bonus episode. You can hear the episode in full over on the Heavy Hands Patreon.
Direct download: bonus_35_teaser.mp3
Category:Bonus Episode Teasers
-- posted at: 3:11pm EDT
Wed, 6 February 2019
The UFC returns to Australia with UFC 234 and, well... it's not quite as good as their last show down under, is it? Nonetheless, the main and co-main events feature a squadron of must-see fighters, and we still have Assuncao vs Moraes to recap, as well. This week, on Heavy Hands, we talk about...
- Why is Kelvin Gastelum so frustrating for fight nerds like us?
- Is Israel Adesanya the next Anderson Silva, and will the answer to that question have any bearing on how badly he batters the old Spider?
- Marlon Moraes' new slate of knockout wins
- Connor's shame at having picked against Jose Aldo, and his joy at seeing the featherweight GOAT get another landmark win
- Charles Oliveira, Demian Maia, and Johnny Walker
Direct download: 249_Whittaker_vs_Gastelum.mp3
-- posted at: 1:25pm EDT
Wed, 30 January 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we're looking forward to the (quite stacked) main card of UFC: Assuncao vs Moraes 2, and also looking back at Bellator: Fedor vs Bader
- Does Raphael Assuncao have the fire to beat Marlon Moraes in another closely contested fight?
- Is Renato Moicano simply too big for an aging Jose Aldo?
- Maia vs Good, Oliveira vs Teymur, Walker vs Ledet
- Ryan Bader vs the mouldering corpse of Fedor Emelianenko
- Aaron Pico: what happens if you throw a blue chip talent against tough opposition from the very beginning of his career?
Support Heavy Hands, and gain access to bonus content: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2439474
Subscribe to the show via...
Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/listen?...
Or on Spotify!
Direct download: 248_Bad_Looks_for_Connors_Faves.mp3
-- posted at: 4:19pm EDT
Wed, 23 January 2019
UFC: Cejudo vs Dillashaw marked the promotion's first event on ESPN+, which is another thing you're supposed to buy to follow this sport. It was one hell of a good card, and it ended with an unexpected--but somewhat anticlimactic--bang. On this week's episode of Heavy Hands, we're breaking it all down.
- How come TJ Dillashaw got murked like that, and did the weight cut have anything to do with it (probably, yes)
- Has Henry Cejudo's win done anything to help save the UFC's flyweight division?
- Old man strength in action: breaking down Donald Cerrone, Joe Benavidez, and Glover Teixeira's crafty performances
- Geoff Neal, and other names you should get used to hearing
- You still have to remember Belal Muhammad's name, though
Direct download: 247_Coming_up_Dillashort.mp3
-- posted at: 3:46pm EDT
Wed, 16 January 2019
After a nice, long break, the UFC returns with the first card of their new deal with ESPN. As was the case in the early Fox days, they're breaking out the big guns for this one, delivering a card that looks all the better for the breather we got beforehand.
This week on Heavy Hands, topics include:
- What problems does TJ Dillashaw's unique (and uniquely limited) style pose to Cejudo?
- Is the UFC deliberately trying to match Gregor Gillespie up against the tallest lightweights possible, and is James Vick available?
- Has Dustin Ortiz improved enough to beat an all-time-great in Joe B?
- Is Donald Cerrone about to pass the torch, or is he a sneakily bad matchup for Alexander Hernandez?
And more. Too much more. Somebody stop us.
Direct download: 246_The_Last_Superfight.mp3
-- posted at: 6:51am EDT
Wed, 9 January 2019
It's finally that time again, folks. Not only does the new year afford us a few blissful weeks of pretending that everything can be good again, it gives us a chance to look back, and reflect. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the third annual Heavy Hands year-end awards, the 2018 Handies.
Topics include (among many others):
- Fighter of the Year
- Knockout of the Year
- The Patrick Wyman Memorial Award for Explosive Muscularity
- Worst Brain Thinking in a Fight Award
- The B-Hop Award for Strategic Cheating
...and many more!
Direct download: 245_The_2018_Handies.mp3
-- posted at: 5:24pm EDT
Wed, 2 January 2019
UFC 232 has come and gone, but we are far from done thinking about it. Jon Jones and Amanda Nunes asserted themselves as two of MMA's most dominant fighters, and all the way down the card, wars were waged, contenders were made, and prospects were proving themselves.
This week on Heavy Hands, we're breaking it all down in-depth. Topics include:
- How Jones' improvements as a boxer made Gustafsson far easier prey this time around, and how his style continues to develop and improve
- Amanda Nunes is scary
- But also, what the hell was Cyborg thinking
- How Alexander Volkanovski's sharp jab and intelligent pressure wore Chad Mendes down quickly
- Petr Yan's sensational-yet-simple combination punching
- Ryan Hall dooms Team Tristar to another generation of ill-advised Imanari roll attempts
Direct download: 244_Jones_masterpiece_Nunes_slaughter.mp3
-- posted at: 2:26pm EDT