Wed, 9 May 2018
Our holiday away from UFC coverage is over. Fedor was fun, right? And how about Kyoji Horiguchi? He won his fight in about one tenth of one percent of the time we spent analyzing his style! Amazing! But now it's UFC season once again, and the world's premiere MMA promotion has gifted us with a card that is... well, it's fine.
This week, we discuss:
- Raquel Pennington: the best of a bad division, or a legitimate threat to Amanda Nunes' belt?
- Kelvin Gastelum's strangely static style
- Mackenzie Dern's pugilistic potential
- John Lineker vs Brian Kelleher
Tue, 24 April 2018
Kevin Lee emulated Khabib Nurmagomedov in his dominant victory over Edson Barboza at UFC Atlantic City, and with a few non-UFC weeks ahead of us, we stretch our legs to discuss this and other face-punching topics. Your table of contents for this week's episode of Heavy Hands:
- Kevin Lee's vicious grappling, and ever-improving striking
- Frankie Edgar's triumphant comeback
- Aljamain Sterling, and the best performance of his career
- The bizarre and worrisome ending to Dvalishvili vs Simon, and a reminder that it was a sensational fight before all the controversy
- A discussion of how size and weight affect fighting style and tactics
Wed, 18 April 2018
This week on Heavy Hands, we're drowning in lightweights. Pat, at least, doesn't seem to mind. Our topics include:
- Justin Gaethje's brawling style, and whether it needs to change
- What allows Poirier to hang in the pocket with the likes of Gaethje and Alvarez? And can he beat Khabib?
- Israel Adesanya's road to contention--longer than we'd hoped?
- Edson Barboza vs Kevin Lee
- Is Frankie Edgar returning too soon from his first knockout loss, or does he simply have Cub Swanson's number?
- Do-or-die time for Aljamain Sterling, and the game of his 15-0 opponent, Brett Johns
Wed, 11 April 2018
On the latest Heavy Hands, your hosts discuss the absolute insanity of UFC 223, and preview the upcoming war of all wars between Dustin Poirier and Justin Gaethje. Topics include:
- Khabib Nurmagomedov's disappointingly dominant win over Al Iaquinta
- The ever-improving skills of Rose Namajunas, and her masterful fight with Joanna Jedrzejczyk
- Zabit Magomedsharipov's icy demeanor versus the burning fury of Kyle Bochniak
- Renato Moicano's contender-making win over Calvin Katter
- What Dustin Poirier can offer Justin Gaethje that other lightweights cannot, and vice versa
- Marvin Vettori: Israel Adesanaya's first big test
Wed, 4 April 2018
UFC 223 is finally upon us, and there was simply no way we could come this close to the date without losing one half of the main event. MMA just doesn't work that way. But despite Tony Ferguson's last-minute, freak injury, the card is still rock solid, and we are more than ready for it. Topics of discussion include:
- Max Holloway: one of Khabib's toughest possible matchups... but on short notice?
- How Joanna Jedrzejczyk needs to adjust to Rose Namajunas to regain her title
- Trying to figure out who's good enough to beat Anthony Pettis as he gets older
- Paul Felder vs Al Iaquinta
And in case you missed it, we covered two other bouts set for the UFC 223 undercard on last week's show, namely Calvin Kattar vs Renato Moicano and Zabit Magomedsharipov vs Kyle Bochniak.
Thu, 22 March 2018
After a slight delay, Heavy Hands is back, and there is the matter of Jan Blachowicz to solve. Witness the thrilling conclusion of an argument you never particularly cared about. All of that, and:
- Is age finally catching up to Fabricio Werdum?
- Alexander Volkov's chances against the rest of the elite (and especially Stipe Miocic)
- How Jan Blachowicz's vaunted "technical striking" won him the day in an unexpected thriller with Jimi Manuwa
- Leon Edwards and Darren Till: complete fighters?
- Hakeem Dawodu, Magomed Ankalaev, and the archetypal Prospect Loss
- Listener questions from the Heavy Bag
All of that, and--need I say it--more! Enjoy the show, folks.
Wed, 14 March 2018
Your latest edition of Heavy Hands is a very spicy meatball. We cover fights. We shout at each other about one of them, and it's not even the one we care about. Then we talk about some of our favorite battles from MMA's mythic past. Topics include:
- Werdum's Brazilian Muay Thai vs Alexander Volkov's cold-blooded efficiency
- A big argument about whether or not Jan Blachowicz is Actually Good
- Related to the former, the long-awaited return of Passionate Pat, and his trusted sidekick, Incorrigible Connor
- Tom Duquesnoy on the comeback path
- The impending UFC debuts of hot prospects Hakeem Duwodu and Magomed Ankalaev
- Great fights that stand the test of time, and a conversation on the major differences between modern MMA and the bloodsport of old
Wed, 28 February 2018
Still mourning the loss of Holloway-Edgar, your hosts discuss:
- Yana Kunitskaya's style, and her chances against Cyborg the soul-taker
- The fascinating dynamics of Frankie Edgar vs Brian Ortega
- Sean O'Malley's tricky rhythm, and what he needs to improve
- Jeremy Stephens' knockout of Josh Emmett at UFC on Fox 28
- Mike Perry, and the vacation he so desperately needs
Wed, 21 February 2018
This week, on Heavy Hands, your hosts cover a number of topics, including:
- Screaming at Fightpass
- Jeremy Stephens' fluidity in contrast to Josh Emmett
- Jessica Andrade's unstoppable killer instinct
- Swearing at Fightpass
- Donald Cerrone's quality preparation for Yancy Medeiros
- Stabbing the computer monitor with a knife
- James Vick's steadily improving boxing
And more! Including a couple of top-notch questions from our listeners.
Wed, 14 February 2018
The main even of UFC 221 was fascinating. Luke Rockhold showed off some much improved boxing, but Yoel Romero stifled the former champion's work with a brilliant strategy and yet another vicious knockout in the third round (his eighth of that description). Connor and Pat break it down in detail, before covering the other highlights of a very entertaining pay-per-view, including Curtis Blaydes' impressive win in the co-main event, Jake Matthews finally putting the pieces together on the undercard, and the electrifying UFC debut of Israel Adesanya.
After that, a preview of next week's main event, Donald Cerrone vs Yancy Medeiros, plus a quick look at a compelling matchup between Francisco Trinaldo and the surging James Vick.