Wed, 22 May 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we're talking about UFC Rochester, a card with a mixed lineup that delivered nothing but consistent action, and more than a few surprising upsets. After that, it's on to the Heavy Bag. Here are our topics:
- RDA finally has enough experience to defeat a slightly unpolished wrestler
- Having survived the horrors of the Hyrkanian fighting pits, Ian Heinisch has no fear of muscly BJJ guys
- Give Charles Oliveira a step up in competition! Either that, or let him fight Nik Lentz over and over for the next ten years. We'll watch either
- Heavy Bag questions: what makes a fighter "UFC level?" what other analysts do we like? how valuable is body toughening for MMA?
Direct download: 264_redux.mp3
-- posted at: 3:39pm EDT
Thu, 16 May 2019
You didn't pray for Jose, did you? Any of you. If you had, he would have won last weekend. Whereas now... well, now all of you are dead to us. Anyway, this week's topics include:
- Can RDA finally defeat a big, strong wrestler?
- Antonio Carlos Junior vs Ian Heinisch
- Vicente Luque vs Neil Magny DERRICK KRANTZ
- Was Namajunas headed for a loss even before Andrade KO'd her?
- How Alex Volkanovski outsmarted Jose Aldo on the feet, and the revenge we have planned for him
Direct download: 263_YOU_DIDNT_PRAY_FOR_JOSE_DID_YOU.mp3
-- posted at: 12:45pm EDT
Wed, 15 May 2019
Connor and Phil share a harmless laugh over the long-awaited destruction of Michael Page. This is a teaser for our latest bonus episode. You can hear the episode in full over on the Heavy Hands Patreon.
This week's main episode will be published tomorrow, due to last minute card changes. We hope this bonus ep will keep you sated till then!
Direct download: bonus_38_teaser.mp3
Category:Bonus Episode Teasers
-- posted at: 6:59pm EDT
Wed, 8 May 2019
Rose Namajunas has two wins over the greatest women's strawweight of all time. Now we're about to find out whether she's a fitting replacement. This week on Heavy Hands, we're talking about:
- Has Rose Namajunas gotten good enough to overcome the physicality and aggression of Jessica Andrade?
- Jose Aldo continues his quest to wipe out all the other featherweight contenders, this time against Alex Volkanovski. Pray for our boy
- Silva vs Cannonier, Trinaldo vs Ferreira
- How Donald Cerrone beat the rage out of Al Iaquinta
- Elias Theodorou vs Derek Brunson: an absolute masterpiece of a bad fight
- And Burgos vs Swanson, too
Direct download: 262_Pray_for_Jose.mp3
-- posted at: 2:16pm EDT
Wed, 1 May 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we have about a billion fights to talk to you about, and we're having a good time discussing each and every one. Next weekend, Al Iaquinta and Cowboy Cerrone throw down, whereas last weekend saw some fascinating action in both the UFC and Bellator cages. Our topics:
- Does Iaquinta have the footwork to stay in Cerrone's face?
- How does Derek Brunson manage to be terrified of Elias Theodorou?
- Shane Burgos and Cub Swanson--a repeat of Swanson's fight with Doo Ho Choi?
- Jack Hermansson fought a perfect fight, and that's great but we feel bad for Jacare
- Rory MacDonald's frustrating loss to a perfectly clean Jon Fitch
- Cory Sandhagen may not have deserved the victory over John Lineker, but he fougth a damn good fight
Direct download: 261_Albert_vs_Donald.mp3
-- posted at: 12:53pm EDT
Wed, 24 April 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we're still in emotional recovery from UFC 236, but the almighty schedule marches on. Russia last week, Florida this week. Aside from Greg Hardy's vile presence, though, it's really hard to complain about this upcoming main card. Today's topics include:
- Does Jack Hermansson have the subtlety to beat an aging Jacare, or will aggression be enough?
- Is Cowboy Oliveira the latest bruiser to bury Perry?
- What does bantamweight's Carlos Condit have for John Lineker that Rob Font didn't?
- Has Ion Cutelaba grown enough to beat crusty old man Glover?
- Overeem! Tsarukyan! Shevchenko! Oleksiejczuk! So many consonants and so little time
Direct download: 260_Pinhead_Mackenzie.mp3
-- posted at: 12:29pm EDT
Wed, 17 April 2019
We were only really watching UFC 236 for the two fights at the top of the card, and now that we're four days removed, we can still hardly believe what we saw. This week on Heavy Hands, we discuss:
- Why did Dustin Poirier end up being such a tough foe for Max Holloway?
- Does Max have a future at 155?
- Kelvin Gastelum's valiant effort, and the lessons he hopefully learned from Adesanya
- Khalil Rountree's career-best performance, and Eryk Anders' worst
- Belal "Remember the Name" Muhammad--our dude does it again
- Alistair Overeem vs Aleksey Oleinik: yes, this fight is happening
Direct download: 259_All_About_Oleinik.mp3
-- posted at: 1:08pm EDT
Wed, 10 April 2019
The main and co-main event of UFC 236 are so compelling, it feels downright cheap to think of the winner of either bout being rewarded with a UFC interim title. Might as well give 'em a UFC hotdog brander, while you're at it. Anyway, we're talking about all the good stuff on this week's episode of Heavy Hands.
- Max Holloway and Dustin Poirier--who's improved more over the last seven years?
- Does Kelvin Gastelum have the technical depth to trouble Israel Adesanya on the feet?
- OSP vs Nikki Thrillz: if there is a God, Von Preux
- Jalin Turner vs Matt Frevola--meaningless fun?
- Curtis Millender vs Belal Muhammad (we hope you remembered the name)
Direct download: 258_Holloway_vs_Poirier_2.mp3
-- posted at: 11:47am EDT
Wed, 3 April 2019
We have a UFC-less weekend ahead of us for what feels like the first time in an age, and that means finally answering your Heavy Bag questions. But before we can enjoy the nonviolence, we have to break down Justin Gaethje's huge KO of Edson Barboza last weekend.
- Why was Justin Gaethje an underdog, again?
- Phil explains his irrational hatred of Josh Emmett
- Sodiq Yusuff beating Sheymon Moraes in just his 7th pro fight makes his Lloyd Irvin affiliation all the more disappointing. He's really good, guys
- KEVIN HOLLAND
- What is "anti-technique," and is there such a thing as "anti-style"?
- Why is striking defense so consistently poor in MMA, and how can it be trained more efficiently?
- How do we pick up so many details when we watch fights?
Direct download: 257_VACATION_ALL_I_EVER_WANTED.mp3
-- posted at: 1:04pm EDT
Wed, 27 March 2019
- How can Edson Barboza survive a terrible style matchup against Justin Gaethje?
- What does Michelle Waterson have for Karolina Kowalkiewicz?
- It's a real shame Sodiq Yusuff is a Lloyd Irvin guy, because he looks really good
- What Anthony Pettis did well last weekend, and why he's still fundamentally the same guy
- Justin Willis' flat feet, and other reasons that he is not Francis Ngannou
- Maycee Barber's newfound grit
Direct download: 256_Night_of_the_Shattered_Femurs.mp3
-- posted at: 3:40pm EDT