Wed, 19 September 2018
Well, there was a huge fight last weekend, and I'm sure you are all desperate to hear us break it down. Unfortunately, Blachowicz vs Krylov has to wait for the second segment. Instead, we kicked off this week's episode with an in-depth breakdown of the rematch between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin, an instant classic that saw Golovkin pressured for the first time in a long time. After that, it's on to UFC Moscow, and the upcoming UFC event in Sao Paolo. Topics include:
- How Canelo tapped into Golovkin's internal stylistic struggle, and how GGG made him pay, anyway
- Jan Blachowicz's contender-making victory over Nikita Krylov. UFC GOLD AWAITS
- Petr Yan's exceptional striking skills
- Thiago Santos is fighting who, now? Eryk Anders? Okay, we talked about that.
- Andre Ewell would be Renan Barao's worst loss yet, but the giant bantamweight newcomer is dangerous. Can the baron recapture his old ferocity?
Wed, 12 September 2018
So, UFC 228 was pretty spectacular. From the early prelims to the main event, last weekend's lineup did everything in their power to deliver one truly memorable night of fights.
Now, did this have anything to do with Valentina Shevchenko's absence? We'll never know. but the answer is yes
We're breaking almost all of it down on this week's Heavy Hands, in addition to looking forward to next week's UFC Moscow, which is actually a little better than its lackluster main event might imply. Topics for this episode include:
- The two sides of Tyron Woodley
- The zero significant strikes of Darren Till
- How Jessica Andrade delivered the most stunning one-punch KO in UFC WMMA history
- Is it best to pump the brakes on Zabit Magomedsharipov?
- Tatiana Suarez, aka Kha-she-b Her-magomedov. Get it? Look, Phil didn't like it either, and I'll admit it's a little clumsy, but IT'S A GOOD PUN
- Next week, Jan of Rivia takes on the prodigal prospect, Nikita Krylov, and we could not be more excited
Wed, 5 September 2018
Alright people, UFC 228 is just about here, so it's time to get extremely [clap] hyped [clap] for these [clap] fights!
Seriously, though, the highlights are great. Tyron Woodley, Darren Till, Nicco Montano, and Valentina Shevchenko are all capable of impressive feats of martial skill, and that makes this one easy to advertise. And in truth, all four of them could show up and put on a pair of truly fascinating fights. But looking back at their recent histories--Till vs Thompson (1 or 2, take your pick), Woodley vs Thompson, Shevchenko vs Nunes 2--how excited should we really be?
This week on Heavy Hands, we're all about UFC 228. Topics include:
Wed, 29 August 2018
Last weekend the UFC went to Lincoln, Nebraska, and the result was a night of good old-fashioned corn-fed chaos. This week on Heavy Hands, your beloved hosts discuss all of the best action in detail. Topics include:
Direct download: 226_Midwest_Slugfest_-_The_Lunacy_In_Lincoln_Pt_II.mp3
Category:UFC -- posted at: 5:06am EDT
Wed, 22 August 2018
After a two week hiatus, the UFC returns in modest fashion with a perfectly solid fight night card, and that means Heavy Hands is back to deliver more of the same perfectly adequate fight analysis you know and regard favorably. Totally fine! They're calling this one "UFC Lincoln, and the main event is Justin Gaethje vs James Vick. A crossroads kind of fight between the world's most exciting mixed martial artist and (perhaps) its most underrated light heavyweight.
Here's what we talked about this week.
Wed, 15 August 2018
The latest episode of Heavy Hands comes at a rare time, betwixt two entire weekends utterly devoid of UFC content. Hell, even TUF and Dana White's Dancing with the Contenders are off the air at the moment. Shh... hear that? It's... silent. Wow.
And that means that this week, we get to talk about... well, whatever we want. And apparently we wanted to talk about... weight cutting? Oh. Phil's idea, I'm sure.
Anyway, topics include
Thu, 9 August 2018
This week on Heavy Hands, we are having computer troubles. But aside from that, we're coping. Yes, TJ Dillashaw closing out his rivalry with Cody Garbrandt was satisfying, but we have to be honest... UFC 227's co-main event, the 12th title defense of flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, left a strange taste in our mouths. Also, it was probably responsible for the computer troubles. Please send your complaints to Henry Cejudo.
Topics this week include:
Wed, 1 August 2018
Though it lasted less than two rounds, Cody Garbrandt vs TJ Dillashaw I is already considered one of the most exciting bouts in bantamweight history. Likewise, Demetrious Johnson's destruction of Henry Cejudo is widely regarded as his finest hour--or rather, his finest two minutes and 49 seconds. In the main and co-main events of UFC 227, both matchups will play out for the second time.
This week on Heavy Hands, Connor and Phil are here with the in-depth technical preview, as well as a look back at some of the results of last weekend's UFC Calgary. Topics include:
Wed, 25 July 2018
The UFC went to Hamburg, Germany last week, and on the latest episode of Heavy Hands, your hosts do everything in their power to avoid talking about it. Fortunately, next week's UFC on Fox card has some superb matchups to preview, analyze, and hopefully distract us from the thought of the brutal, pointless end that awaits every prizefighter, no matter how beloved.
No, but seriously. Eddie Alvarez vs Dustin Poirier... again! This week on Heavy Hands, we tuck into three top-notch fights, and more. Topics include:
- Eddie Alvarez is the reigning king of violence, and maybe the best lightweight there's ever been--but does his style still match up favorably with Poirier's?
- Jose Aldo certainly has the skills to do to Jeremy Stephens what he did to Frankie Edgar, but having lost 3 of his last 4, Stephens' own skills are not to be overlooked
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk had a tough time with the reach and pressure of Rose Namajunas. Can Tecia Torres present similar problems?
- The Assassination of Shogun Rua by the Coward Anthony Smith
- Nasrat Haqparast's style evolving in a dominant victory over Marc Diakiese
Direct download: 221_Good_fights_ahead_and_everything_is_normal.mp3
Category:UFC -- posted at: 3:41pm EDT
Thu, 19 July 2018
This is a teaser for our latest bonus episode. Check out the whole thing on our Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2439474