Tue, 24 April 2018
Kevin Lee emulated Khabib Nurmagomedov in his dominant victory over Edson Barboza at UFC Atlantic City, and with a few non-UFC weeks ahead of us, we stretch our legs to discuss this and other face-punching topics. Your table of contents for this week's episode of Heavy Hands:
- Kevin Lee's vicious grappling, and ever-improving striking
- Frankie Edgar's triumphant comeback
- Aljamain Sterling, and the best performance of his career
- The bizarre and worrisome ending to Dvalishvili vs Simon, and a reminder that it was a sensational fight before all the controversy
- A discussion of how size and weight affect fighting style and tactics
Wed, 18 April 2018
This week on Heavy Hands, we're drowning in lightweights. Pat, at least, doesn't seem to mind. Our topics include:
- Justin Gaethje's brawling style, and whether it needs to change
- What allows Poirier to hang in the pocket with the likes of Gaethje and Alvarez? And can he beat Khabib?
- Israel Adesanya's road to contention--longer than we'd hoped?
- Edson Barboza vs Kevin Lee
- Is Frankie Edgar returning too soon from his first knockout loss, or does he simply have Cub Swanson's number?
- Do-or-die time for Aljamain Sterling, and the game of his 15-0 opponent, Brett Johns
Wed, 11 April 2018
On the latest Heavy Hands, your hosts discuss the absolute insanity of UFC 223, and preview the upcoming war of all wars between Dustin Poirier and Justin Gaethje. Topics include:
- Khabib Nurmagomedov's disappointingly dominant win over Al Iaquinta
- The ever-improving skills of Rose Namajunas, and her masterful fight with Joanna Jedrzejczyk
- Zabit Magomedsharipov's icy demeanor versus the burning fury of Kyle Bochniak
- Renato Moicano's contender-making win over Calvin Katter
- What Dustin Poirier can offer Justin Gaethje that other lightweights cannot, and vice versa
- Marvin Vettori: Israel Adesanaya's first big test
Wed, 4 April 2018
UFC 223 is finally upon us, and there was simply no way we could come this close to the date without losing one half of the main event. MMA just doesn't work that way. But despite Tony Ferguson's last-minute, freak injury, the card is still rock solid, and we are more than ready for it. Topics of discussion include:
- Max Holloway: one of Khabib's toughest possible matchups... but on short notice?
- How Joanna Jedrzejczyk needs to adjust to Rose Namajunas to regain her title
- Trying to figure out who's good enough to beat Anthony Pettis as he gets older
- Paul Felder vs Al Iaquinta
And in case you missed it, we covered two other bouts set for the UFC 223 undercard on last week's show, namely Calvin Kattar vs Renato Moicano and Zabit Magomedsharipov vs Kyle Bochniak.