Wed, 30 May 2018
This is a preview of our latest bonus episode. To hear the thing in full, check out our Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2439474
Wed, 23 May 2018
Just a few more weeks, folks. Just a couple more events until UFC 225 is finally upon us. Until then, we're wading our way through a spate of dangerously top-heavy cards. The good news is, they've been surprisingly fulfilling so far, for the dozen or so people watching, and that means there is always plenty to talk about after the fact. Topics for this week's episode include:
- Darren Till's rapid rise to relevance, and the questions he still needs to answer
- An interesting clash between two exciting pseudo-prospects in Makwan Amirkhani (Mr Finland vs Mr Mississippi, anyone?)
- Kamaru Usman's frustrating victory over Demian Maia at UFC Chile
- Tatiana Suarez's dominant performance in the co-main event
- Dominick Reyes: official badass
- Enrique Barzola: underappreciated badass, now 5-1 in the UFC
Wed, 16 May 2018
Last weekend, some people fought, and it was good. Some parts were not so good, but other parts were especially good.Then, the weekend ended, and Connor Ruebusch and Patrick Wyman sat down to discuss it.
This week on Heavy Hands, the topics include:
- Raquel Pennington's corner, and the unnecessary fifth round they refused to save her from
- Jorge Linares, the first man since Orlando Salido to give Vasyl Lomachenko a stiff test
- Lomachenko passing that test in typically astounding fashion
- Kelvin Gastelum, middleweight's Anthony Pettis (it'll make more sense when you listen)
- previewing Kamaru Usman vs Demian Maia, and Alexa Grasso vs Tatiana Suarez
Wed, 9 May 2018
Our holiday away from UFC coverage is over. Fedor was fun, right? And how about Kyoji Horiguchi? He won his fight in about one tenth of one percent of the time we spent analyzing his style! Amazing! But now it's UFC season once again, and the world's premiere MMA promotion has gifted us with a card that is... well, it's fine.
This week, we discuss:
- Raquel Pennington: the best of a bad division, or a legitimate threat to Amanda Nunes' belt?
- Kelvin Gastelum's strangely static style
- Mackenzie Dern's pugilistic potential
- John Lineker vs Brian Kelleher
Wed, 2 May 2018
With one more blessed, UFC-less weekend left to us, the hosts of Heavy Hands turn to Bellator and Rizin for inspiration. That means talking about the heavyweight GOAT, and the only top five flyweight not currently fighting under the UFC banner. Topics include:
- How the MMA game of Fedor stacks up against todays heavyweights
- Kyoji Horiguchi's tricky rhythm and developing skillset
- Whether he will be able to beat Ian McCall at Rizin 10
- The difference between an "action fighter" and an exciting fighter
...and more, I swear.