Wed, 12 May 2021
Connor and Phil take a good, long look at UFC 262's Oliveira vs Chandler, and try to figure out which glass cannon shatters first.
Direct download: 368_Glass_Cannon_Fodder.mp3
-- posted at: 4:00pm EDT
Wed, 5 May 2021
This week on Heavy Hands, Connor and Phil marvel at the madness that is Jiri Prochazka before scratching their heads over the upcoming Waterson vs Rodriguez.
Direct download: 367_Bad_Czech.mp3
-- posted at: 6:57pm EDT
Wed, 28 April 2021
Your hosts Phil Mackenzie and Ed Gallo break down UFC 261's three title fights and look ahead to Reyes vs Prochazka.
- Kamaru Usman seems perfectly suited to Trevor Wittman's reliable process of boxing techniques. He may just be the athletic all-rounder Jorge Masvidal always hoped to be
- Somehow Rose Namajunas delivered the one instant KO which nonetheless gives analysts like us plenty to talk about
- Valentina Shevchenko has finally defeated Connor Ruebusch. RIP
- In lighter news, this Jiri Prochazka guy seems pretty fun
Direct download: 366_RIP_in_Pain_feat._Ed_Gallo.mp3
-- posted at: 4:58pm EDT
Wed, 21 April 2021
It is possibly Connor's last episode and, indeed, one of his last few days on earth. Please, Jessica. Save us. Save ME.
- Jorge Masvidal doesn't deserve a second crack at Kamaru Usman, and no one really wanted to see it--but it will almost certainly be more interesting than their first fight
- Does Weili Zhang have the counter punching to win at the end of Rose Namajunas' reach? Does Rose have the grit to win a decision at all?
- Jessica Andrade doesn't play by the rules on which Shevchenko's comfort depends, but does she have the defense and durability to survive her own assault?
Direct download: 365_Possibly_My_Last_Episode.mp3
-- posted at: 9:23pm EDT
Wed, 14 April 2021
Connor and Phil ask whether a renewed focus on wrestling is really the thing to beat Bobby Knuckles. That, and...
- Kevin Holland isn't stylistically vulnerable to wrestlers--he literally doesn't know how to wrestle. We wonder why
- Drakkar Klose has been a very solid lightweight, but does he have the power and grit to bang it out with Jeremy Stephens?
- And more!
Direct download: 364_Learn_2_Wrestle.mp3
-- posted at: 9:01pm EDT
Thu, 8 April 2021
Connor and Phil take a sensible look at Kevin Holland's latest last-minute fill in fight.
- Is Kevin Holland better than he realizes? Does it matter against the most consistent man in the division?
- Sodiq Yusuff seems like a certified future contender--but Arnold Allen lies down for no man
- Plus Ansaroff vs Dern, Perry vs Rodriguez, Shore vs Azure
Direct download: 363_Here_We_Go_Again.mp3
-- posted at: 1:43pm EDT
Wed, 31 March 2021
Connor and Phil sit down to discuss the progress made at UFC 260, and the painful lessons learned.
- Francis Ngannou was, for at least one fight, a new man. Process, composure, and even technique!
- Tyron Woodley tried to do the impossible and discovered that it was, in fact, not possible
- Plus O'Malley, Oleksiejczuk, and more!
Direct download: 362_Lessons_Learned.mp3
-- posted at: 2:38pm EDT
Wed, 24 March 2021
Ryan Wagner joins Phil and Connor this week to break down Miocic-Ngannou 2, Woodley-Luque, and Volkanovski-Ortega (shh... don't tell him).
- Francis Ngannou has at least as big a chance of beating Miocic as he did the first time--which is strange, considering how utterly Miocic outfought him
- Tyron Woodley faces another pressure fighter. WE WONDER WHAT WILL HAPPEN
- Derek Brunson--top five middleweight at last. And Kevin Holland: still too weird for his own good
Direct download: 361_Wagnerian_analysis.mp3
-- posted at: 5:54pm EDT
Wed, 17 March 2021
- Kyle helps us find perspective on Marvin Hagler's incredible career, and examine the things that set him apart from the other three kings of the 80s
- Hoping against hope that Kevin Holland can evade and outlast Derek Brunson
- Is Gregor Gillespie just another version of the test Brad Riddell has already passed, or is there something else to his wrestling game?
- We discuss what little there is to take away from Edwards vs Muhammad that we didn't already know
- Nasrat Haqparast: is he stagnating as a fighter, or is he still in the process of realizing that he can't just knock out everyone he faces?
Direct download: 360_RIP_Marvelous_Marvin.mp3
-- posted at: 5:59pm EDT
Wed, 10 March 2021
Connor and Phil stand in awe at Jan Blachowicz's brilliance, and look ahead to Belal Muhammad's big break. They grow up so fast!
- Jan Blachowicz fought the smartest fight of his career to defend his belt from one of the best strikers the sport has ever seen. He's a LEGEND.
- And the award for Worst Brain Thinking goes to... Petr Yan!
- Plus, Belal Muhammad seems like a dark horse to trouble Leon Edwards, but the Englishman hasn't lost since 2015, and that was against the current champion
Direct download: 359_Early_Frontrunner_for_Worst_Brain_Thinking.mp3
-- posted at: 12:40pm EDT
Wed, 3 March 2021
The Fight Site's Tom Elliott joins Connor and Phil to break down the three big fights of UFC 259.
- The two-division champ fad burned itself out a year ago, but Jan Blachowicz may yet pose an interesting test for Adesanya. At the very least he can check a kick
- Petr Yan vs Aljamain Sterling: the best fight the UFC can possibly make right now?
- How does Aljo get it to the ground, or does he even have to?
- Oh yeah, and Nunes vs Anderson too. Don't worry, it only took us about 5 minutes to get this one covered
Direct download: 358_Three_Title_Fights_feat._Tom_Elliott.mp3
-- posted at: 3:49pm EDT
Wed, 24 February 2021
Connor and Phil break down several heavyweight fights without getting even slightly depressed.
- Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Cyril Gane is that rarest of treats: a heavyweight fight that is both meaningful, and skillful
- Is there any hope for Nikita Krylov in his fight vs Magomed Ankalaev? Probably not, but Connor tries to find some
- Almost six years later, Jimmie Rivera and Pedro Munhoz meet again. We are extremely hyped about this one
- Plus: Lewis-Blaydes, Tom Aspinall, and Jared Gordon
Direct download: 357_Beef_Boys.mp3
-- posted at: 2:15am EDT
Wed, 17 February 2021
Dan Tom of the Protect Ya Neck podcast joins Connor and Phil to discuss Kamaru Usman's thrilling win over Gilbert Burns, and preview the most heavyweight fight of all time: Curtis Blaydes vs Derrick Lewis.
- Usman's jab answered Burns' kicks just like we thought it would--but the big picture was nothing like we expected. Is Trevor Wittman turning all of his fighters into backfoot jabbers, or what?
- Maycee Barber isn't easy to love, but you shouldn't give up on her just yet
- Curtis Blaydes is going to totally outwrestle Derrick Lewis--potentially right up until Lewis annihilates him
Direct download: 356_UFC_258_feat._Dan_Tom.mp3
-- posted at: 5:13pm EDT
Wed, 10 February 2021
Connor and Phil break down the main event of UFC 258. Two prodigal sons enter; only one will return.
- Henri Hooft has done wonders with both Kamaru Usman and Gilbert Burns--but Team Evil only has room for one sweet boy.
- Alexa Grasso can probably box Maycee Barber's head off--but for how long?
- Kelvin Gastelum (overachiever) and Ian Heinish (underachiever) are poised to have a closely matched (and possibly very boring) battle for middleweight contention
- And more
Direct download: 355_Hooft_vs_Hooft.mp3
-- posted at: 4:27am EDT
Thu, 4 February 2021
On this episode of Heavy Hands, Connor and Phil try desperately to wrap their heads around a well-matched main card.
- Will Overeem's new "relax & wrestle" strategy pan out, or is Volkov his ceiling?
- Frankie Edgar moves down another division, only to face one of the biggest men he's ever fought
- Ferreira vs Dariush--predicting this one is like trying to wrap our heads around insanity itself. We love it
Direct download: 354_Reem_vs_Lkov.mp3
-- posted at: 2:58pm EDT
Wed, 27 January 2021
Connor and Phil stand in awe of Dustin Poirier's brilliant, ass-backwards rematch win over Conor McGregor.
- Going backwards and standing on the end of McGregor's reach is supposed to be the worst thing you can do. At least, we thought it was
- Michael Chandler's triumphant UFC debut
- Marina Rodriguez's shocking KO, Arman Tsarukyan's being-good-at-everything
Direct download: 353_1_and_1.mp3
-- posted at: 2:11pm EDT
Wed, 20 January 2021
Connor and Phil are joined by the Fight Site's Julian Lung to break down UFC 257.
- Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier are both different men than they were in 2016--so who got more better, and does it matter?
- Max Holloway also continues to get better, a terrifying prospect for every featherweight in the division not named Alexander Volkanovski
- Michael Chandler is finally making his UFC debut, and the UFC seem determined to make him just another Hector Lombard
Direct download: 352_McGregor-Poirier_2_feat._Julian_Lung.mp3
-- posted at: 1:52pm EDT
Wed, 13 January 2021
Connor and Phil take a look at Max Holloway vs Calvin Kattar and Neil Magny vs Michael Chiesa, a pair of fights which seem at first surprisingly competitive, and then slightly predictable--which is a sure sign that something unexpected is about to happen.
Direct download: 351_new_year_new_fights.mp3
-- posted at: 6:35pm EDT
Wed, 6 January 2021
The time has come, at last, for Handies. Connor and Phil liquor up, limber down, and give 2020 the treatment it deserves.
Shitty editing! Incredible disrespect for professional athletes! Phil uses the word "revenant!"
Direct download: 350_2020_handies.mp3
-- posted at: 6:37am EDT