Wed, 31 October 2018
This week on Heavy Hands, one of the hosts is dying, but that still won't keep us from breaking down UFC 230. It feels strange to say this, but... it's a pretty good card! And with Anthony Smith achieving the impossible last weekend, it seems almost inevitable that his lord and master, Derrick Lewis, will be heavyweight champ by Sunday. Topics include:
- The fascinating, frustrating, and utterly functional style of Derrick Lewis
- DC is still gonna wreck him, isn't he?
- Is Jacare a sneakily bad matchup for Chris Weidman?
- Israel Adesanya's cocky cleverness vs Derek Brunson's weaponized insecurity (and wrestling)
- Julio Arce vs Sheymon Moraes, a prospect fight you shouldn't miss
Wed, 24 October 2018
Another break from the UFC gives way to another eight-week stretch without a single reprieve--but that's okay, for now. We're feeling refreshed, and more excited than is appropriate to break down some classic(ally terrible) light heavyweight matchups! Topics for this week:
- Forget about whether Smith or Oezdemir is better... are either of them Actually Good?
- Deciding which, of his limitless powers, Artem Lobov should use to destroy Michael Johnson in the co-main event
- Gian Villante vs Ed Herman--just to remind ourselves that the main event isn't actually all that bad
- A topic from our patrons: what makes one effective in wild scrambles or exchanges, and who are the best at it?
Wed, 17 October 2018
This week on Heavy Hands, we're covering a topic which has consumed much of the online MMA sphere these last few weeks. Ever since Nate Diaz decided to announce his contention for the 165-pound UFC title, that weight class has captivated our collective imagination--even though Nate never really was scheduled to fight for the title, and is currently not scheduled to fight at all, and also there is no 165-pound division.
So this week, we draw up a list of 32 fighters of all stripes, who we think could benefit from a move to 165, and smash them together like action figures until only the hypothetical champion is left. Enjoy, sickos.
Wed, 10 October 2018
UFC 229 gave us pretty much everything we could have asked for, given the lineup. In the main event, Khabib Nurmgomedov and Conor McGregor fought tooth-and-nail, with Nurmagomedov notching his greatest victory to date--after all, no one else has beaten Dillon Danis. Tony Ferguson and Anthony Pettis had an outrageous war of wills in the co-main event. Further down, Dominick Reyes showed veteran smarts and skills in a telling victory over Ovince Saint Preux, and Derrick Lewis was more Derrick Lewis than ever.
We break it all down on this week's Heavy Hands.
Wed, 3 October 2018
Here it is, folks. The moment we've all been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for. Goodness, it feels like ages since we've had a matchup this compelling, doesn't it? Conor McGregor returns to the Octagon after an absence of two years, to take on the undefeated Khabib Nurmagomedov. Topics include:
And don't forget, if you will be watching UFC 229 live, Connor will be livecasting the fights on the new Youtube channel, which you can find right here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8uiE3gzYRYXWOM1aBTmORw