Wed, 11 April 2018
On the latest Heavy Hands, your hosts discuss the absolute insanity of UFC 223, and preview the upcoming war of all wars between Dustin Poirier and Justin Gaethje. Topics include:
- Khabib Nurmagomedov's disappointingly dominant win over Al Iaquinta
- The ever-improving skills of Rose Namajunas, and her masterful fight with Joanna Jedrzejczyk
- Zabit Magomedsharipov's icy demeanor versus the burning fury of Kyle Bochniak
- Renato Moicano's contender-making win over Calvin Katter
- What Dustin Poirier can offer Justin Gaethje that other lightweights cannot, and vice versa
- Marvin Vettori: Israel Adesanaya's first big test
Wed, 4 April 2018
UFC 223 is finally upon us, and there was simply no way we could come this close to the date without losing one half of the main event. MMA just doesn't work that way. But despite Tony Ferguson's last-minute, freak injury, the card is still rock solid, and we are more than ready for it. Topics of discussion include:
- Max Holloway: one of Khabib's toughest possible matchups... but on short notice?
- How Joanna Jedrzejczyk needs to adjust to Rose Namajunas to regain her title
- Trying to figure out who's good enough to beat Anthony Pettis as he gets older
- Paul Felder vs Al Iaquinta
And in case you missed it, we covered two other bouts set for the UFC 223 undercard on last week's show, namely Calvin Kattar vs Renato Moicano and Zabit Magomedsharipov vs Kyle Bochniak.
Thu, 22 March 2018
After a slight delay, Heavy Hands is back, and there is the matter of Jan Blachowicz to solve. Witness the thrilling conclusion of an argument you never particularly cared about. All of that, and:
- Is age finally catching up to Fabricio Werdum?
- Alexander Volkov's chances against the rest of the elite (and especially Stipe Miocic)
- How Jan Blachowicz's vaunted "technical striking" won him the day in an unexpected thriller with Jimi Manuwa
- Leon Edwards and Darren Till: complete fighters?
- Hakeem Dawodu, Magomed Ankalaev, and the archetypal Prospect Loss
- Listener questions from the Heavy Bag
All of that, and--need I say it--more! Enjoy the show, folks.
Wed, 14 March 2018
Your latest edition of Heavy Hands is a very spicy meatball. We cover fights. We shout at each other about one of them, and it's not even the one we care about. Then we talk about some of our favorite battles from MMA's mythic past. Topics include:
- Werdum's Brazilian Muay Thai vs Alexander Volkov's cold-blooded efficiency
- A big argument about whether or not Jan Blachowicz is Actually Good
- Related to the former, the long-awaited return of Passionate Pat, and his trusted sidekick, Incorrigible Connor
- Tom Duquesnoy on the comeback path
- The impending UFC debuts of hot prospects Hakeem Duwodu and Magomed Ankalaev
- Great fights that stand the test of time, and a conversation on the major differences between modern MMA and the bloodsport of old
Wed, 28 February 2018
Still mourning the loss of Holloway-Edgar, your hosts discuss:
- Yana Kunitskaya's style, and her chances against Cyborg the soul-taker
- The fascinating dynamics of Frankie Edgar vs Brian Ortega
- Sean O'Malley's tricky rhythm, and what he needs to improve
- Jeremy Stephens' knockout of Josh Emmett at UFC on Fox 28
- Mike Perry, and the vacation he so desperately needs
Wed, 21 February 2018
This week, on Heavy Hands, your hosts cover a number of topics, including:
- Screaming at Fightpass
- Jeremy Stephens' fluidity in contrast to Josh Emmett
- Jessica Andrade's unstoppable killer instinct
- Swearing at Fightpass
- Donald Cerrone's quality preparation for Yancy Medeiros
- Stabbing the computer monitor with a knife
- James Vick's steadily improving boxing
And more! Including a couple of top-notch questions from our listeners.
Wed, 14 February 2018
The main even of UFC 221 was fascinating. Luke Rockhold showed off some much improved boxing, but Yoel Romero stifled the former champion's work with a brilliant strategy and yet another vicious knockout in the third round (his eighth of that description). Connor and Pat break it down in detail, before covering the other highlights of a very entertaining pay-per-view, including Curtis Blaydes' impressive win in the co-main event, Jake Matthews finally putting the pieces together on the undercard, and the electrifying UFC debut of Israel Adesanya.
After that, a preview of next week's main event, Donald Cerrone vs Yancy Medeiros, plus a quick look at a compelling matchup between Francisco Trinaldo and the surging James Vick.
Wed, 7 February 2018
UFC 221 is right around the corner, and while it may not be the superbowl of MMA (it's definitely not), Connor and Pat are still intensely interested in its main event, a scrap between middleweight mystery Yoel Romero, and former UFC and Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold. Also of interest: Mark Hunt vs Curtis Blaydes, the co-main event, the UFC debut of eye-catching kickboxer Israel Adesanya, and the continuing adventures of featherweight fireplug Alexander Volkanovski.
Finally, a look back at Machida vs Anders from last weekend, and the controversial outcome of Valentina Shevchenko vs Squash Match Victim 2B Priscila Cachoeira.
Direct download: 197_Rockhold_vs_Romero_for_the_interim_interim_title.mp3
Category:UFC -- posted at: 1:15pm EST
Wed, 31 January 2018
Are you a fan of Bloody Elbow’s MMA Vivisection? Do you like how long it always is? Well then you’re going to love this episode of Heavy Hands!
BE’s Zane Simon joins Connor and Pat on this week’s episode to discuss what could be the definitive end to Lyoto Machida’s long tenure as a UFC contender, as the Dragon prepares to take on untested prospect Eryk Anders in the main event of UFC Belem. The power trio also breaks down the co-main event, John Dodson vs Pedro Munhoz, as well as the flyweight debut of Valentina Shevchenko.
After that, a recap of last weekend’s UFC on Fox card, which, while deservedly underwatched, did give us some quality fights, and reminded us all that, yes, Jacare Souza is a man to be feared.
Wed, 17 January 2018
We are extremely excited for UFC 220. And no, it's not because the card is great, as a whole. It's because Francis Ngannou is a terrifying mystery, and if Miocic beats him, he will have officially compiled the best championship run in UFC heavyweight title history.
We tap into the mystery of Ngannou on this week's edition of Heavy Hands, and explore the options which Miocic might have against him. Daniel Cormier's title fight with Volkan Oezdemir doesn't evoke the same giddy, can't-wait sensation as the main event, but we break that one down, too, in addition to our two favorite undercard fights: Calvin Kattar vs Shane Burgos (probable fight of the night) and Thomas Almeida vs Rob Font (probable second-best fight of the night).
After that, it's onto our analysis of the events of UFC St Louis, namely Jeremy Stephens' crushing victory over "Korean Superboy" Doo Ho Choi in the main event, Kamaru Usman's troubled climb through the welterweight ranks, and Darren Elkins' mastery of the art of the comeback.