Tue, 8 June 2021
Connor and Phil assess the big fights of UFC 263, none of which need to happen, but most of which are good. Especially the flyweights.
Hear more undercard talk on our Patreon, in addition to lots of other bonus content, for just $3 a month: https://www.patreon.com/heavyhands
BUY A SHIRT. Or a mask. Or a... uh, how about a bath mat? Visit our shop & buy Heavy Hands gear featuring the artwork of Gian Galang: https://www.redbubble.com/shop/ap/64577943?asc=u
Direct download: 372_I_didnt_ask_for_this_but_I_like_it.mp3
-- posted at: 11:33pm EDT
Sat, 29 May 2021
Connor and Phil try their very best to be optimistic about one of the worst looking cards of the year. It could be worse. IT COULD ALWAYS BE WORSE.
Direct download: 371_Weve_got_mono.mp3
-- posted at: 1:37am EDT
Wed, 26 May 2021
Connor and Phil talk Font vs Garbrandt, and then leverage the recent spate of horrific leg injuries into a discussion about technique trends in MMA.
Direct download: 370_Font_of_Wisdom.mp3
-- posted at: 4:57pm EDT
Wed, 19 May 2021
Connor and Phil celebrate Champion Chucky--or should that be Chucky Olive-wreath?--and look forward to Rob Font vs Cody Garbrandt.
- It was the most predictably exciting main event ever--except for the part where Chucky Olives proved once and for all that he can take a whooping and come back. Boy, can he.
- Folks... Tony Ferguson ain't coming back, and Beneil Dariush ain't getting that car.
- Does Cody Garbrandt have the chin (and the wits) to trade with a man John Lineker couldn't put away?
Direct download: 369_Champion_Chucky.mp3
-- posted at: 2:13pm EDT
Wed, 12 May 2021
Connor and Phil take a good, long look at UFC 262's Oliveira vs Chandler, and try to figure out which glass cannon shatters first.
Direct download: 368_Glass_Cannon_Fodder.mp3
-- posted at: 4:00pm EDT
Wed, 5 May 2021
This week on Heavy Hands, Connor and Phil marvel at the madness that is Jiri Prochazka before scratching their heads over the upcoming Waterson vs Rodriguez.
Direct download: 367_Bad_Czech.mp3
-- posted at: 6:57pm EDT
Wed, 28 April 2021
Your hosts Phil Mackenzie and Ed Gallo break down UFC 261's three title fights and look ahead to Reyes vs Prochazka.
- Kamaru Usman seems perfectly suited to Trevor Wittman's reliable process of boxing techniques. He may just be the athletic all-rounder Jorge Masvidal always hoped to be
- Somehow Rose Namajunas delivered the one instant KO which nonetheless gives analysts like us plenty to talk about
- Valentina Shevchenko has finally defeated Connor Ruebusch. RIP
- In lighter news, this Jiri Prochazka guy seems pretty fun
Direct download: 366_RIP_in_Pain_feat._Ed_Gallo.mp3
-- posted at: 4:58pm EDT
Wed, 21 April 2021
It is possibly Connor's last episode and, indeed, one of his last few days on earth. Please, Jessica. Save us. Save ME.
- Jorge Masvidal doesn't deserve a second crack at Kamaru Usman, and no one really wanted to see it--but it will almost certainly be more interesting than their first fight
- Does Weili Zhang have the counter punching to win at the end of Rose Namajunas' reach? Does Rose have the grit to win a decision at all?
- Jessica Andrade doesn't play by the rules on which Shevchenko's comfort depends, but does she have the defense and durability to survive her own assault?
Direct download: 365_Possibly_My_Last_Episode.mp3
-- posted at: 9:23pm EDT
Wed, 14 April 2021
Connor and Phil ask whether a renewed focus on wrestling is really the thing to beat Bobby Knuckles. That, and...
- Kevin Holland isn't stylistically vulnerable to wrestlers--he literally doesn't know how to wrestle. We wonder why
- Drakkar Klose has been a very solid lightweight, but does he have the power and grit to bang it out with Jeremy Stephens?
- And more!
Direct download: 364_Learn_2_Wrestle.mp3
-- posted at: 9:01pm EDT
Thu, 8 April 2021
Connor and Phil take a sensible look at Kevin Holland's latest last-minute fill in fight.
- Is Kevin Holland better than he realizes? Does it matter against the most consistent man in the division?
- Sodiq Yusuff seems like a certified future contender--but Arnold Allen lies down for no man
- Plus Ansaroff vs Dern, Perry vs Rodriguez, Shore vs Azure
Direct download: 363_Here_We_Go_Again.mp3
-- posted at: 1:43pm EDT
Wed, 31 March 2021
Connor and Phil sit down to discuss the progress made at UFC 260, and the painful lessons learned.
- Francis Ngannou was, for at least one fight, a new man. Process, composure, and even technique!
- Tyron Woodley tried to do the impossible and discovered that it was, in fact, not possible
- Plus O'Malley, Oleksiejczuk, and more!
Direct download: 362_Lessons_Learned.mp3
-- posted at: 2:38pm EDT
Wed, 24 March 2021
Ryan Wagner joins Phil and Connor this week to break down Miocic-Ngannou 2, Woodley-Luque, and Volkanovski-Ortega (shh... don't tell him).
- Francis Ngannou has at least as big a chance of beating Miocic as he did the first time--which is strange, considering how utterly Miocic outfought him
- Tyron Woodley faces another pressure fighter. WE WONDER WHAT WILL HAPPEN
- Derek Brunson--top five middleweight at last. And Kevin Holland: still too weird for his own good
Direct download: 361_Wagnerian_analysis.mp3
-- posted at: 5:54pm EDT
Wed, 17 March 2021
- Kyle helps us find perspective on Marvin Hagler's incredible career, and examine the things that set him apart from the other three kings of the 80s
- Hoping against hope that Kevin Holland can evade and outlast Derek Brunson
- Is Gregor Gillespie just another version of the test Brad Riddell has already passed, or is there something else to his wrestling game?
- We discuss what little there is to take away from Edwards vs Muhammad that we didn't already know
- Nasrat Haqparast: is he stagnating as a fighter, or is he still in the process of realizing that he can't just knock out everyone he faces?
Direct download: 360_RIP_Marvelous_Marvin.mp3
-- posted at: 5:59pm EDT
Wed, 10 March 2021
Connor and Phil stand in awe at Jan Blachowicz's brilliance, and look ahead to Belal Muhammad's big break. They grow up so fast!
- Jan Blachowicz fought the smartest fight of his career to defend his belt from one of the best strikers the sport has ever seen. He's a LEGEND.
- And the award for Worst Brain Thinking goes to... Petr Yan!
- Plus, Belal Muhammad seems like a dark horse to trouble Leon Edwards, but the Englishman hasn't lost since 2015, and that was against the current champion
Direct download: 359_Early_Frontrunner_for_Worst_Brain_Thinking.mp3
-- posted at: 12:40pm EDT
Wed, 3 March 2021
The Fight Site's Tom Elliott joins Connor and Phil to break down the three big fights of UFC 259.
- The two-division champ fad burned itself out a year ago, but Jan Blachowicz may yet pose an interesting test for Adesanya. At the very least he can check a kick
- Petr Yan vs Aljamain Sterling: the best fight the UFC can possibly make right now?
- How does Aljo get it to the ground, or does he even have to?
- Oh yeah, and Nunes vs Anderson too. Don't worry, it only took us about 5 minutes to get this one covered
Direct download: 358_Three_Title_Fights_feat._Tom_Elliott.mp3
-- posted at: 3:49pm EDT
Wed, 24 February 2021
Connor and Phil break down several heavyweight fights without getting even slightly depressed.
- Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Cyril Gane is that rarest of treats: a heavyweight fight that is both meaningful, and skillful
- Is there any hope for Nikita Krylov in his fight vs Magomed Ankalaev? Probably not, but Connor tries to find some
- Almost six years later, Jimmie Rivera and Pedro Munhoz meet again. We are extremely hyped about this one
- Plus: Lewis-Blaydes, Tom Aspinall, and Jared Gordon
Direct download: 357_Beef_Boys.mp3
-- posted at: 2:15am EDT
Wed, 17 February 2021
Dan Tom of the Protect Ya Neck podcast joins Connor and Phil to discuss Kamaru Usman's thrilling win over Gilbert Burns, and preview the most heavyweight fight of all time: Curtis Blaydes vs Derrick Lewis.
- Usman's jab answered Burns' kicks just like we thought it would--but the big picture was nothing like we expected. Is Trevor Wittman turning all of his fighters into backfoot jabbers, or what?
- Maycee Barber isn't easy to love, but you shouldn't give up on her just yet
- Curtis Blaydes is going to totally outwrestle Derrick Lewis--potentially right up until Lewis annihilates him
Direct download: 356_UFC_258_feat._Dan_Tom.mp3
-- posted at: 5:13pm EDT
Wed, 10 February 2021
Connor and Phil break down the main event of UFC 258. Two prodigal sons enter; only one will return.
- Henri Hooft has done wonders with both Kamaru Usman and Gilbert Burns--but Team Evil only has room for one sweet boy.
- Alexa Grasso can probably box Maycee Barber's head off--but for how long?
- Kelvin Gastelum (overachiever) and Ian Heinish (underachiever) are poised to have a closely matched (and possibly very boring) battle for middleweight contention
- And more
Direct download: 355_Hooft_vs_Hooft.mp3
-- posted at: 4:27am EDT
Thu, 4 February 2021
On this episode of Heavy Hands, Connor and Phil try desperately to wrap their heads around a well-matched main card.
- Will Overeem's new "relax & wrestle" strategy pan out, or is Volkov his ceiling?
- Frankie Edgar moves down another division, only to face one of the biggest men he's ever fought
- Ferreira vs Dariush--predicting this one is like trying to wrap our heads around insanity itself. We love it
Direct download: 354_Reem_vs_Lkov.mp3
-- posted at: 2:58pm EDT
Wed, 27 January 2021
Connor and Phil stand in awe of Dustin Poirier's brilliant, ass-backwards rematch win over Conor McGregor.
- Going backwards and standing on the end of McGregor's reach is supposed to be the worst thing you can do. At least, we thought it was
- Michael Chandler's triumphant UFC debut
- Marina Rodriguez's shocking KO, Arman Tsarukyan's being-good-at-everything
Direct download: 353_1_and_1.mp3
-- posted at: 2:11pm EDT
Wed, 20 January 2021
Connor and Phil are joined by the Fight Site's Julian Lung to break down UFC 257.
- Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier are both different men than they were in 2016--so who got more better, and does it matter?
- Max Holloway also continues to get better, a terrifying prospect for every featherweight in the division not named Alexander Volkanovski
- Michael Chandler is finally making his UFC debut, and the UFC seem determined to make him just another Hector Lombard
Direct download: 352_McGregor-Poirier_2_feat._Julian_Lung.mp3
-- posted at: 1:52pm EDT
Wed, 13 January 2021
Connor and Phil take a look at Max Holloway vs Calvin Kattar and Neil Magny vs Michael Chiesa, a pair of fights which seem at first surprisingly competitive, and then slightly predictable--which is a sure sign that something unexpected is about to happen.
Direct download: 351_new_year_new_fights.mp3
-- posted at: 6:35pm EDT
Wed, 6 January 2021
The time has come, at last, for Handies. Connor and Phil liquor up, limber down, and give 2020 the treatment it deserves.
Shitty editing! Incredible disrespect for professional athletes! Phil uses the word "revenant!"
Direct download: 350_2020_handies.mp3
-- posted at: 6:37am EDT
Wed, 30 December 2020
Connor and Phil have a nice post-holiday chat about some of the silliest things that happened this year in the UFC and the world of MMA. The real Handies are next week, so I guess that makes this... I don't know, what do you get before a Handy? Champagne? A massage?
Direct download: 349_pre_handies.mp3
-- posted at: 5:29pm EDT
Thu, 24 December 2020
NOTE: If your audio is messed up, just go ahead and re-download this episode. The source file has been corrected since the original posting.
Connor and Phil pause before a Christmas that it seemed would never come to celebrate some impressive, by-the-book wins.
- Of course Jose Aldo does things by the book. HE WROTE THE DAMN BOOK
- Geoff Neal didn't seem prepared to attack Wonderboy's weaknesses--but then, Wonderboy showed him very few
- Michel Pereira also BETRAYED US with a DISGUSTINGLY professional performance
- Is Marlon Moraes the third great champion to be destroyed byt the bantamweight division?
- plus Pretty Tony vs Morono and more!
Direct download: 348_Hindsight_2020.mp3
-- posted at: 4:20pm EDT
Wed, 16 December 2020
Killer fights on every side! Connor and Phil break down UFC 256, look ahead to Thompson vs Neal, and FREAK OUT ABOUT KEVIN HOLLAND.
- Brandon Moreno may not be a Bobby Knuckles-level athlete, but he put on a Bobby Knuckles-level effort against the flyweight division's own Yoel Romero
- Kevin Holland is the lord, our God. AlhamduliHolland
- Phil thinks Thompson vs Neal is going to be a staring contest. BOOOOO
- and Connor thinks Aldo vs Chito is going to give him a heart attack
- ...and more!
Direct download: 347_Kevin_Holland_will_murder_you.mp3
-- posted at: 3:20pm EDT
Wed, 9 December 2020
BUY A SHIRT. Or a mask. Or a... uh, how about a bath mat? That's right, Heavy Hands now has a store on Redbubble, where you can buy all kinds of things printed with our beautifully brutal logo by artist Gian Galang.
As for the episode... Connor and Phil get hyped about the surprisingly stacked UFC 256.
- Deiveson Figueiredo is an athletic terror, but Brandon Moreno is apparently willing to assassinate a baby, so what else might he do?
- Just how far has Tony Ferguson fallen, and how is he doing it so slowly?
- Charles Oliveira has definitely gotten better, but there remains the worrying possibility that, like a mounted police officer, he might curl up into a ball when confronted with someone taller than himself. Phil Mackenzie investigates
- Kevin Holland returns... likely just to lose in classic Smack Man fashion
Direct download: 346_Here_At_Last_Already.mp3
-- posted at: 5:40am EDT
Wed, 2 December 2020
Connor and Phil talk about some UFC fights that aren't good and a fight between two washed up boxers that actually was!
- Hermansson vs Holland is dead (get well soon, Kev), but replacing it is arguably a more competitive fight
- Mike Tyson demonstrates the value of textbook technique in a shockingly fun fight with an equally aged Roy Jones Jr
- Movsar Evloev's nonexistent head movement gets a test
- Anthony Smith did something last week, I think. I don't know
Direct download: 345_In_Loving_Memory.mp3
-- posted at: 6:28pm EDT
Wed, 25 November 2020
Connor and Phil look ahead to an absurd and absurdly relevant heavyweight fight, and Valentina Shevchenko comes one step closer to destroying western civilization.
- Curtis Blaydes shouldn't lose to Derrick Lewis, but is that going to stop him?
- Phil is mad at Deiveson Figueiredo for being too good
- Connor is mad at Valentina Shevchenko for obvious reasons
Direct download: 344_E-E-EVIL_WOMAN.mp3
-- posted at: 5:14pm EDT
Wed, 18 November 2020
Connor and Phil break down two title fights that don't really feel like title fights, and the rest of an otherwise solid PPV card.
- Can all of Alex Perez's improvements save him from the freakish power of Yoel Jr?
- How many of the same one-two over and over can Valentina possibly ignore before accidentally finishing Jennifer Maia?
- Moreno vs Royval, the Battle of the Brandons--a.k.a. the real main event
- plus, post-fight breakdowns of Felder-RDA and more!
Direct download: 343_Im_Told_These_Are_Title_Fights.mp3
-- posted at: 6:45pm EDT
Thu, 12 November 2020
This week, Connor and Phil break down RDA vs Paul Felder, whose late addition to this card does not, in fact, make it any better, and how dare you suggest that certain fights and fighters are more interesting than others, you PHILISTINE.
- Is RDA really as done as he looks, or did Michael Chiesa just do his homework?
- Saparbek Safarov, a horrible, disgusting man who should never be cut from the UFC roster
- The brilliance of Raoni Barcelos, discussed over dessert at Glover's diner
Direct download: 342_More_like_Savorov.mp3
-- posted at: 2:55pm EDT
Wed, 4 November 2020
Connor and Phil celebrate the end (?) of Anderson Silva's incredible career, and talk about some light heavyweights.
- Silva's killer instinct, once his greatest asset, became his final undoing. DON'T TRY TO HURT URIAH HALL YOU BEAUTIFUL OLD BASTARD
- Thiago Santos and Glover Teixeira are two light heavyweights that were fighting for a shot at the title but now they're probably not
- Raoni Barcelos can't get a ranked opponent to save his life, but he always finds a clever way to win
- and more!
Direct download: 341_Long_Live_Silva.mp3
-- posted at: 4:15pm EDT
Thu, 29 October 2020
Connor and Phil bury the memory of Ed Gallo, and break down the incredible and, apparently, final victory of Khabib Nurmagomedov.
- Khabib retires a mystery, mostly because he was smart enough to keep it that way
- Robert Whittaker EVOLVES into... Robert Whittaker
- Silva vs Hall, Fili, vs Mitchell, and more
Direct download: 340_Khabib_the_Conqueror.mp3
-- posted at: 12:12pm EDT
Wed, 21 October 2020
This week Connor and Phil... no, hold on, Phil's gone. It's a different guy. A wrestling guy named Ed Gallo, here to talk about an exceedingly wrestley fight: Khabib vs Gaethje.
- We seem to understand Khabib's game just well enough to keep picking against him like idiots
- How Justin Gaethje is going to win
- Where Michael Chandler fits into the UFC's lightweight division, & how this weekend's alternate matches up with the two main eventers
- Is Robert Whittaker washed, or just getting over the hump? Is it safe to be asking this question within earshot of Jared Cannonier?
- Cutelaba-Ankalaev 2. There's nothing more to say, but we say it anyway
Direct download: 339_Wrong_Again.mp3
-- posted at: 8:59am EDT
Tue, 13 October 2020
Connor and Phil break down the tantalizing upcoming battle between Brian Ortega and the Korean Zombie, and celebrate the greatest KO in EA UFC history.
- Did a career-defining loss to Max Holloway hide how much better Brian Ortega's boxing was getting? Has it gotten even better? What does the OG KZ think about this?
- Is flyweight the perfect shallow pool for a muscle shark like Jessica Andrade?
- BOW TO MODESTAS BUKAUSKAS. WORSHIP MODESTAS BUKAUSKAS. MODESTAS FORGIVES, BUT BUKAUSKAS NEVER FORGETS
- plus: Sandhagen-Moraes and Kevin Holland's most promising pupil
Direct download: 338_Now_Thats_a_Better_Buckley.mp3
-- posted at: 10:31pm EDT
Wed, 7 October 2020
Connor and Phil break down the two interesting fights at the top of this upcoming UFC card AND NOTHING ELSE
- Sandhagen's pressure and volume vs Moraes speed and tiny voice
- Is featherweight Edson Barboza still Edson Barboza? And does it matter?
- and then there's... I guess there's Holm-Aldana to talk about too
Direct download: 337_MODESTAS.mp3
-- posted at: 6:27pm EDT
Wed, 30 September 2020
Connor and Phil abase themselves geeking out over Jan Blachowicz's big win, and also there was a matchup-of-the-year main event too, I guess.
- Paulo Costa opted for a dick measuring contest and got smoked. It was as gay as it sounds
- For the first time ever, the UFC has a light heavyweight division who is, certifiably, Actually Good
- Brandon Royval is a madman and you must watch every one of his fights
- And more!
Direct download: 336_BLACHOWIIIIIICCCZZZZ.mp3
-- posted at: 5:37pm EDT
Wed, 23 September 2020
Connor and Phil break down the impending clash between Israel Adesanya and the King of the Bitchs himself, Paulo Costa.
- The sexual tension is as high as the stakes. How does Adesanya deal with relentless pressure, attrition, and durability that Brorrachinha brings to the table?
- In the co-main, Heavy Hands patron saint Jan of Rivia could be a uniquely difficult test for would-be champ Dominick Reyes
- Kai Kara-France and Brad Riddell fill out the City Kickboxing roster for this event with two unique expressions of high level kickboxing
Direct download: 335_Horny_on_Main_Event.mp3
-- posted at: 12:03pm EDT
Wed, 16 September 2020
Connor and Phil break down a top heavy but solid fight night card, and lament the seemingly inescapable fate of Tyron Woodley.
- You think losing 15 rounds straight is rough, imagine losing 10 rounds and then the next five are to Colby Covington
- Cowboy Cerrone's been on a slide, but Niko Price is literally only good at one thing
- Could Gerald Meerschaert's willingness to grapple be the key to throwing Khamzat Chimaev off, or is it just a less elaborate method of suicide?
- Johnny Walker vs Ryan Spann hurts so good
- and, of course: KEVIN HOLLAND ALERT
Direct download: 334_Bug_Kyle_McLachlan_on_Twitter.mp3
-- posted at: 12:15am EDT
Wed, 9 September 2020
Connor and Phil are probably a little too hard on the quality of the next UFC card, but that doesn't stop them from digging into a whole smattering of different matchups.
- Angela Hill probably should have beaten Claudia Gadelha, but Michelle Waterson looks like an open door into title contention
- We are surprised to discover that we love Khama Worthy
- Matt Schnell and Tyson Nam each specialize in winning the one style of fight which the other always loses
- The rise of Tediumreem, the continued silliness of OSP, and the sheer brilliance of Michel Pereira, the only freak athlete in the UFC who uses his power responsibly
Direct download: 333_SmorgasBored.mp3
-- posted at: 5:16pm EDT
Wed, 2 September 2020
Connor and Phil curse Aleksander Rakic for turning to be a REALLY boring version of Thiago Santos, and delve into a little MMA armchair psychology.
- Styles make fights, but what makes a style?
- How do Connor's worn out old archetypes translate to wrestling and grappling, or are they entirely different worlds?
- Phil Mackenzie revives the legendary Fighting Temperament Cheeseblock: https://i.imgur.com/W1P9oNB.png
- We mourn the final days of Brutal Bob Lawler, and console ourselves by celebrating Neil Magny, a true pro who keeps getting better
Direct download: 332_SMF2.mp3
-- posted at: 4:21pm EDT
Wed, 26 August 2020
Connor and Phil come to a realization about Aleksander Rakic that does not bode well for Lionheart Smith.
- Anthony Smith at his best, Anthony Smith at his worst, and how he does both at once
- We pour one out for Brutal Bob who, like fellow action hero Carlos Condit before him, has been sentenced to a slow death by lanky gatekeeper
- ...and more!
Direct download: 331_Cowar_Moob.mp3
-- posted at: 5:30pm EDT
Wed, 19 August 2020
Connor and Phil discuss the utterly bizarre Miocic-Cormier trilogy, and fear for Frankie Edgar's safety.
- Clinches, eyepokes, exactly two rounds worth of body shots but at the beginning of the fight this time; Stipe Miocic defied all of our expectations, except for the fact that he won
- Once Frankie Edgar may have taken Pedro Munhoz to school, but the Edgar of old has been replaced by Edgar the old
- John Dodson betrays Connor's trust, and Merab Dvalishvili may finally have found the key to title contention: being boring
Direct download: 330_Blinded_by_the_Fight.mp3
-- posted at: 8:43pm EDT
Tue, 11 August 2020
Connor and Phil break down the impending rubber match between Daniel Cormier and Stipe Miocic for the UFC heavyweight title.
- The MMA gods are capricious, and nowhere moreso than in the heavyweight division--but Phil is sure he's figured this main event out
- Sean O"Malley's got lots of flash and a good bit of substance, too--but Chito Vera may be the first man to really test his toughness
- How sad could JDS vs Rozenstruik be? he asked, fearing the worst
- John Dodson makes for a killer gatekeeper, but Merab Dvalishvili looks like the type to run headfirst through an oak door
Direct download: 329_The_Stupidest_Outcome.mp3
-- posted at: 8:49pm EDT
Tue, 4 August 2020
This week on Heavy Hands, Connor and Phil praise Derek Brunson for getting better, and squirt Derrick Lewis with the water bottle for thinking he gets to do the same.
- Who does Derrick Lewis think he is, trying to be good at MMA? Selfish bastard! Anyway, he's probably going to send Alexei Oleinik to hell
- Chris Weidman vs Omari Akhmedov is one of those special fights: very weird, sort of depressing, but undeniably interesting
- Long Back Benny is back to sling punches with the very durable but not very damaging Scott Holtzman
- Has Nasrat Haqparast learned any lessons about fighting wrestlers since his loss to Marcin Held?
- plus: Shahbazyan's missing jab, Derek Brunson's rebirth, and Lando Vannata's continuing struggle to be reborn
Direct download: 328_Derek_and_Derrick.mp3
-- posted at: 11:49pm EDT
Thu, 30 July 2020
Connor and Phil break down the surprisingly close fight between Robert Whittaker and Darren Till.
- We're more convinced than ever that Whittaker has lost a step, but we think we also finally understand what bugs him about these last two matchups
- Shogun and Lil Nog: MMA's version of Zeno's Paradox
- How about Nathaniel Wood's hands?!
- Derek Brunson is a perfect test for Edmen Shahbazyan, but more importantly, Connor loves Derek Brunson
- He also loves Ed Herman and Gerald Meerschaert
- KEVIN HOLLAND. KEVIN HOLLAND.
Direct download: 327_Totally_Shot.mp3
-- posted at: 1:15pm EDT
Wed, 22 July 2020
Connor and Phil ask: how good is Darren Till, really? And has Robert Whittaker deteriorated enough to get beaten by him?
- Could Whittaker have done better against Israel Adesanya? Does it matter?
- Shogun vs Lil Nog 3000
- Gustafsson vs Werdum: two men who apparently hate fighting
- RIP Joe B
- ...and more!
Direct download: 326_Wheres_Whittaker.mp3
-- posted at: 3:52pm EDT
Wed, 15 July 2020
Connor and Phil break down the incredible action in UFC 251's three title fights, and look forward to the rematch between Deiveson Figueiredo and Joe Benavidez.
- Jose Aldo came as close to beating Max Holloway as he ever will, and even closer to dying in the Octagon. Thanks Leon!
- Jorge Masvidal was in better shape than we had expected. It didn't matter
- Max Holloway is a liar. HE IS A LIAR
- Could Joe B have won that first Figueiredo fight without the clash of heads?
Direct download: 325_More_UFC_251.mp3
-- posted at: 6:27pm EDT
Wed, 8 July 2020
Connor and Phil sit down to discuss Usman vs Masvidal and the other two title fights set for UFC 251.
- So it's Masvidal vs Usman, in the end, only now on short notice. Can Masvidal force Usman back, or is he doomed to broken against the fence?
- Max Holloway approaches his rematch with Alexander Volkanovski with the attitude of a man who has just dreamed his own death. We hate it.
- Connor finally lets Jose Aldo go, just in time to realize that he might actually beat Petr Yan
Direct download: 324_ufc_251.mp3
-- posted at: 4:17pm EDT
Wed, 1 July 2020
Connor and Phil are joined once again by the scourge of the British Isles, Kyle McLachlan, to discuss Hooker vs Poirier and some great matchups we never got to see.
- Dustin Poirier is not shot, but also, Dan Hooker is not bad
- Sean Woodson is still good, don't listen to Kyle. I'm not crying
- Mike Perry. That is all.
- We chat about some legendary fantasy matchups: Aldo vs Cejudo (???), Aldo vs Pettis, Fedor vs Lesnar, GSP vs Silva
Direct download: 323_Guess_Whos_Back.mp3
-- posted at: 2:58pm EDT
Thu, 25 June 2020
A short discussion of how exactly we expect Poirier to destroy Hooker, and then Connor tenderly consoles his dear friend Phil, who was wrong.
- Dan Hooker thinks fighters who retire on the stool are marshmallows, which is a position no one asked him to take before stepping into the cage with Dustin Poirier
- Mike Perry vs concrete
- Phil has first nice, big cry in a long time. There, there. Josh Emmett can't hurt you.
- and more!
Direct download: 322_phil_loves_josh_emmett_now.mp3
-- posted at: 12:53pm EDT
Wed, 17 June 2020
Connor and Phil break down the upcoming card, which is QUITE strong, and review Eye vs Calvillo, which was QUITE BAD.
- Alexander Volkov is among the most skilled heavyweights in the world, and that doesn't look like it will be enough
- Phil's hatred for Josh Emmett reaches unprecedented heights as he contemplates the possibility of Shane Burgos getting aboslutely deaded
- Jessica Eye is incapable of change
- plus our breakdown of the very exciting Fili vs Jourdain and more
Direct download: 321_BeyBlaydes.mp3
-- posted at: 1:26pm EDT
Wed, 10 June 2020
Connor and Phil preview the surprisingly interesting Eye vs Calvillo card, and mourn two great perennial contenders who will contend no more.
- Jessica Eye is going to win by being just big enough not to lose the only kind of fight she knows how to have
- Can Ray Borg build on the boxing he showed against Ricky Simon? Is Charles Jourdain a problem for Andre Fili?
- Felicia Spencer's terrible corner, and the maturity of Amanda Nunes
- Assuncao and Formiga... we love you both. RIP
- Aljamain Sterling shocks the world, prompting the UFC to knuckle down on putting together Yan vs Aldo for the vacant title
Direct download: 320_death_of_a_craftsman.mp3
-- posted at: 4:06pm EDT
Thu, 4 June 2020
Tommy Elliott (@Muay_Khaoboy) of the Fight Site joins Connor and Phil to break down the big matchups of UFC 250.
- Does Felicia Spencer have like... any chance? Any shot at all?
- Raphael Assuncao seems tailor-made to beat Cody Garbrandt, but has he gotten too old for the former champ?
- We are all confused, frightened, and excited by whatever may happen in Aljamain Sterling vs Cory Sandhagen.
- plus, the slow demise of Tyron Woodley, and more
Direct download: 319_The_Vile_Carlyle.mp3
-- posted at: 3:21pm EDT
Tue, 26 May 2020
Connor and Phil have no idea what is going to happen between Tyron Woodley and Gilbert Burns. It's a weird fight. In fact, the whole card is kind of weird, but not uninteresting.
- Gilbert Burns has the grit to emulate Nate Marquardt, but does he have the technique, or the chin?
- Ivanov vs Sakai is a weird fight by heavyweight standards, which is to say that it might look sort of like a normal fight
- Mackenzie Dern gets a bounceback
- Katlyn Chookagian seeks to revenge herself on the sinister Shevchenko family
- ...and more
Direct download: 318_Does_Woodley_get_Burned.mp3
-- posted at: 9:37pm EDT
Tue, 19 May 2020
Connor and Phil talk about heavyweights, and then it's on to more uplifting matters, like robberies.
- Of all the ways Walt Harris vs Alistair Overeem could have gone, we got both of them. And it was sad.
- Angela Hill--ROBBED
- Edson Barboza--ROBBED?
- Chito Vera--probably not robbed, it was really close. In fact they were all pretty close.
- Eryk Anders vs Krzysztof Jotko reassures us that the earth is healing, and that there will always be a middleweight division
Direct download: 317_Competitive_Fights_and_Tragic_Ends.mp3
-- posted at: 9:15pm EDT
Wed, 13 May 2020
Connor and Phil lavish terrified praise on the newest version of Justin Gaethje, lest the next one come and find us.
- Was Tony Ferguson finally shot, or did Trevor Wittman build the perfect machine to destroy him?
- Henry Cejudo, the greatest combat athlete of all time, greater even than legendary pankratist Arrhichion, who paid for victory with his life, finally seems to know what he's doing, and then retires
- How does Alistair Overeem beat Walt Harris? other than taking him down, obviously
- Edson Barboza at featherweight.
- Chito vs Yadong. Chito vs Yadong. CHITO VS YADONG.
Direct download: 316_JG-1000.mp3
-- posted at: 12:58pm EDT
Wed, 6 May 2020
Connor and Phil talk UFC 249, and it's such a relief to have another UFC event to discuss, that thinking of Tony Ferguson hardly even makes them cry.
- Tony Ferguson finally gets his shot... at oblivion. Justin Gaethje might not win, but if he does, it'll be the saddest end to a legendary win streak in history
- Dominick Cruz would've been an easy pick over Henry Cejudo in his prime, so what's stopping him now? other than age, inactivity, and fourteen new debilitating injuries
- Calvin Kattar vs Jeremy Stephens. Hell yeah
Direct download: 315_Numbered_Event_of_the_Beast.mp3
-- posted at: 6:45am EDT
Thu, 30 April 2020
Another commentary episode for your quarantined asses. This time, Connor and Phil watch the title-winning performances of three of the UFC's most unique champions.
- The dawn of the Machida Era (and the birth of Shad face)
- Ben Henderson blows up Frankie Edgar's nose with his mind
- Dominick Cruz does bad technique in a good way, and who the hell is Brian Bowles
Direct download: 314_Weird_Kings.mp3
-- posted at: 6:06pm EDT
Wed, 22 April 2020
Connor and Phil survey the blasted landscape of three of the UFC's strongest weight classes, and decide a new champion for each.
Coronavirus comes for all men, and UFC champions are no exception. Now that Henry Cejudo, Khabib Nurmagomedov, and Kamaru Usman have all taken terribly ill, we seed each champ's respective division with eight top contenders, and let them fight for the vacant throne.
Let's hope the new kings disinfect the thing before sitting down.
Direct download: 313_Corona_Clash_2020.mp3
-- posted at: 2:19pm EDT
Wed, 15 April 2020
Jordan Breen joins the show to watch the breakout moments of some MMA legends.
- Khabib Nurmagomedov's UFC debut: awful, horrible, hideous striking--but obvious talent
- Jose Aldo vs Alexandre Franca Nogueira: technique, speed, power--Jose Aldo's WEC debut clearly indicated how great his potential was
- Jordan Breen talks about whatever Jordan Breen wants to talk about
Direct download: 312_Breakout_Fights_feat._Jordan_Breen.mp3
-- posted at: 6:33pm EDT
Thu, 9 April 2020
Connor and Phil preview a couple of tenuous UFC 249 matchups and talk about some of MMA history's more underrated technicians (and action fighters).
- What does Niko Price have to do differently to knock Vicente Luque out?
- Chito Vera's much bigger than Ray Borg, but will that matter once Borg starts wrestling?
- Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Kazuo Misaki, and Mark Hominick--underrated technicians, all-time great action fighters
Direct download: 311_underrated_action_fighters.mp3
-- posted at: 4:04pm EDT
Thu, 2 April 2020
Connor and Phil cover some of the biggest turning points in MMA history. This week, we're commentating three fights that led the way forward in our still-young sport.
- Mark Coleman vs Maurice Smith: the dawn of sprawl-and-brawl
- Chuck Liddell vs Rampage Jackson: anti-grappling meets superior striking
- Fedor Emelianenko vs Big Nog: BJJ gets absolutely smashed by the MMA ground game
Direct download: 310_MMA_Impressed_Us.mp3
-- posted at: 2:41pm EDT
Wed, 25 March 2020
Man who go first do good. Man who go second do BAD. Unless...?
The Fight Site's Danny Martin joins us to discuss.
- Why are pressure, aggression, and volume so important in MMA?
- Is good, systematic striking defense really possible in this sport?
- How can a fighter seize the initiative without throwing the first punch?
- And more!
Wed, 18 March 2020
The last UFC event for who-knows-how-long was full of superb grappling, and we brought in the Fight Site's Ben Kohn to help us break it all down.
- Said Chucky Olives to the Motown Phenom: "We are not so different, you and I."
- Maia and Yahya: does MMA put a hard ceiling on positional BJJ?
- The extremely light heavyweight grappling of Nikita Krylov
- and more!
Direct download: 308_Brasilia_with_Ben.mp3
-- posted at: 7:31pm EDT
Wed, 11 March 2020
Connor and Phil recap the excellent and the disappointing from UFC 248, and look forward to a STACKED fight night card.
- The main event may have hurt both fighters' stock, but it was still a fascinating glimpse into the galaxy brains of Israel Adesanya and Yoel Romero
- Thank GOD for the strawweights
- Is the Tristar version of Kevin Lee aggressive enough to bully Charles Oliveira?
- Does Nikita Krylov beat Johnny Walker simply by having a good chin?
- and more!
Direct download: 307_Strawweight_Saviors.mp3
-- posted at: 11:38am EDT
Wed, 4 March 2020
Connor and Phil break down the two title fights set for UFC 248, and look back at Deiveson Figuereido's (almost) championship win.
- Will Israel Adesanya carry an early lead down the stretch, or is Yoel's uncanny ability to lose until he wins enough to give us a Pereira-esque KO?
- Zhang Weili is an athlete on par with Valentina Shevchenko, but a far shallower technician. So, will Joanna Jedrzejczyk win the last three rounds, or only the last two?
- Joe B's heartbreaking defeat, and the seven minutes of brilliant action that preceded it
Direct download: 306_ufc_248.mp3
-- posted at: 4:31pm EDT
Wed, 26 February 2020
Fight Site godfather and boxing historian Kyle McLachlan joins the show this week, not only to break down Tyson Fury's incredible win over Deontay Wilder, but to preview one of our most anticipated UFC fights of the year.
- Joe Benavidez is probably the best to never win a belt, but Deiveson Figueiredo is the future of the division--is Joe B too old for destiny?
- How did Tyson Fury dominate Deontay Wilder so thoroughly?
- Did Paul Felder and Dan Hooker lift one another up, headfirst right into their shared ceiling?
Direct download: 305_Fury-Wilder_feat_Kyle_MacLachlan.mp3
-- posted at: 7:52am EDT
Thu, 20 February 2020
Heavy Hands is back with a particularly ramble-y episode, in which we look forward to Paul Felder vs Dan Hooker, and try not to think too deeply about Diego Sanchez.
- Can Paul Felder's gritty wear Dan Hooker down, or will he get shot to pieces at range?
- Jimmy Crute vs Michael Oleksiejczuk, a light heavyweight matchup which is simultaneously very dumb and very intriguing
- Jan of Rivia avenges another defeat
- Diego Sanchez funny! And sad. Very FUNNY, though hahahaha! but sad
Direct download: 304_Felder_vs_Hooker.mp3
-- posted at: 2:58pm EDT
Wed, 12 February 2020
This week on Heavy Hands we are very pleased to be joined by Tom Elliott (@Muay_Khaoboy), who made an excellent study of Jon Jones in his Elements of Dominance series. And while we planned to talk about lots more, we ended up spending (more than) an hour and a half just talking about Jones vs Reyes and the results of UFC 247.
- What to make of this current version of Jon Jones? What isn't working, and what still impresses the hell out of us?
- Dominick Reyes obviously had the tools to beat Jones--but what could he do better next time?
- How many dully predictable wins will it take for Phil to stop haunting Valentina Shevchenko's Instagram comments?
- Get well soon, Derrick Lewis! and Ilir Latifi's future at heavyweight
- Has Mirsad Bektic Phil Davis'd himself?
Direct download: 303_REYES_REX_feat._Tom_Elliott.mp3
-- posted at: 7:55pm EDT
Wed, 5 February 2020
This week on Heavy Hands, we're figuring Dominick Reyes' chances against the light heavyweight GOAT, and saying a prayer so that Katlyn Chookagian's soul might find peace in the afterlife.
- Is Dominick Reyes as good as the light heavyweight champion, Thiago Santos?
- The question is not whether Katlyn Chookagian loses, but whether she looks more like Holm or Carmouche in the effort
- Is Dan Ige scrappy enough to take Mirsad Bektic out of his comfort zone?
- Derrick Lewis betrayed us by becoming Actually Good, but he's still probably gonna win
Direct download: 302_Jones_vs_Reyes_and_NOTHIING_ELSE.mp3
-- posted at: 6:45pm EDT
Wed, 29 January 2020
We've got a bit of a grab bag for you on this week's episode of Heavy Hands, what with so little of interest happening last weekend in Raleigh, and UFC 247 still a week away (and looking remarkably thin, at that).
- Rafael Dos Anjos was supposed to blow Michael Chiesa out of the water. He should have. What happened?
- Three years ago Junior Dos Santos would have given Curtis Blaydes serious problems. Is he officially over the hill?
- What good are pound-for-pound rankings?
- In particular, what good are pound-for-pound rankings when they include the likes of Jessica Eye and Katlyn Chookagian?
- Kamaru Usman: his chances of putting together a legendary reign, and the challengers most likely to stop him
Direct download: 301_RIP_RDA__JDS.mp3
-- posted at: 6:59pm EDT
Wed, 22 January 2020
The vaping scooter gang takeover continues, as the Fight Site's Srirarm Muralidaran joins us to break down last week's fights, and (surprise) next week's fights, too. It's a good one, folks!
- Conor McGregor did the thing he was always going to do to Donald Cerrone, who reacted in the way he always has
- Holly Holm and Raquel Pennington conspired to put on a fight even more boring than their first one
- Carlos Diego Ferreira surprised us, not by beating Anthony Pettis, but by using his best Nate Diaz impression to do it
- How awesome is Roxanne Modafferi?
- Is JDS a secret poison matchup for Curtis Blaydes?
- Would it be funnier for RDA to finish Michael Chiesa with body shots, or leg kicks?
Direct download: 300_UFC_246_feat_Sriram_Muralidaran.mp3
-- posted at: 11:54am EDT
Wed, 15 January 2020
The UFC is back after a three-week hiatus, and so is Conor McGregor, though his own break was both longer and significantly more full of sexual assault allegations. MMA, folks! Our topics this week:
- McGregor's gonna knock Cerrone out in round one--but what if HE DOESN'T?!
- Does Claudia Gadelha have the physicality to stop Alexa Grasso overwhelming her down the stretch?
- Carlos Diego Ferreira's long-overdue opportunity to break out
- Drew Dober makes for a great foil, but does he actually have a shot at beating Nasrat Haqparast?
Direct download: 299_UFC_PR.mp3
-- posted at: 4:36pm EDT
Wed, 8 January 2020
Connor and Phil claw their ways out of bed to compare Bellator champs to UFC champs. Then they die.
Direct download: 298_flu_edition.mp3
-- posted at: 8:33pm EDT
Fri, 3 January 2020
Billy Crystal and Phil Mackenzie join forces once again to celebrate another absurd(ly technical) year in the world of MMA.
That's right: here we are, once again, giving out Handies. And you're about to listen to it. Who had the best knockout of 2019? The best gameplan? What about the best gameplan that didn't actually work? Will Cody Garbrandt hold onto the coveted Worst Brain Thinking Award for the second year in the row? Who will take home the Patrick Wyman Memorial Award for Explosive Muscularity, and how could it not be Yoel Romero and Paulo Costa?
All of these burning questions answered, with only the slightest chance that you will experience a burning sensation in the bathroom. What better way to kick off 2020?
Direct download: 297_HANDIES.mp3
-- posted at: 10:58am EDT
Thu, 26 December 2019
Audio issues and cynicism abound! We spend the day before Christmas talking about the UFC. YOU'RE WELCOME
- Korean Zombie ends 2019 by giving us our first accurate prediction of the year. Better late than never!
- "Is Aleksander Rakic good?" we asked. In answer, the light heavyweight division laughed
- 2019 was the year in which all of our old favorites either started falling apart (Jose Aldo) or were finally ground into dust (Anderson Silva)
- Also this was the year we found out that Henry Cejudo is the greatest fighter on earth. Merry Christmas
Direct download: 296_Crankie_Edgars_Christmas.mp3
-- posted at: 3:25pm EDT
Wed, 18 December 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, UFC 245 was awesome! And we've got Frankie Edgar vs Korean Zombie coming up next week. It's all good stuff, folks.
We only had room for the main and co-main of UFC 245 on this episode, but don't despair: we did break down just about every other undercard bout, and you'll be able to find those over on our Patreon, where all of our bonus episodes are available for just $3 a month. As for this ep:
- That nincompoop Ed may have convinced us there would be wrestling, but we did learn a lot about Kamaru Usman's striking
- Alexander Volkanovski proved himself a worthy champion with another brilliantly planned and executed strategy
- Does Edgar have the wrestling to get past Korean Zombie's laser-guided uppercut defense system?
- Aleksander Rakic: is he actually good?
Direct download: 295_Jawbreak_Jamboree__Edgar-KZ.mp3
-- posted at: 12:35pm EDT
Wed, 11 December 2019
UFC 245 is finally upon us, and if it took seeing the inside of Alistair Overeem's face to get here, it was almost worth it. And The Fight Site's Ed Gallo joins the show once again specifically to break down the main event.
- What makes Alexander Volkanovski one of the smartest fighters in MMA today, and is that enough to beat Max Holloway?
- What do the college wrestling careers of Kamaru Usman and Colby Covington tell us about their UFC title fight?
- How insecure is Colby Covington, exactly?
- Germaine de Randamie is bantamweight's dark horse, but are reach and timing enough against the well-rounded attack of Amanda Nunes?
Direct download: 294_ufc_245.mp3
-- posted at: 11:50am EDT
Wed, 4 December 2019
We're back on our bullshit. After two beautiful weeks off, we've got more UFC events to preview. The good news is, of all the fights on next week's card, only one of them is Overeem vs Rozenstruik.
- Does Alistair Overeem have the composure to take down a kickboxer with no wrestling ability? The answer may surprise you
- Marina Rodriguez wrecked Tecia Torres in her last fight; now how about a scrappier version of the same opponent
- Cody Stamann may lack Song Yadong's transcendent talent, but he does have a pretty solid wrestling game so... this is a great matchup.
- After years of waiting, Jose Aldo is finally changing weight classes! We can't wait to see the greatest featherweight of all time at ligh--wait
Direct download: 293_rozenreem_vs_overstruik.mp3
-- posted at: 11:11am EDT
Wed, 27 November 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, Ed Gallo of Bloody Elbow, the Fight Site, and Twitter's own vaping scooter gang joins us to discuss wrestling, how it applies to MMA, and how it's killing the sport.
- Did Ben Askren's wrestling game prepare him so well for MMA that he was able to get away without learning any other skills?
- Why do we remember as a short-lived king of the punchers, and not one of the best wrestlers ever to grace the cage?
- And if Hendricks wasn't able to adopt a new wrestling style for his new sport, how the hell did Daniel Cormier do it?
- Stipe vs Fedor redux: Ed decides
Direct download: 292_Ed_Gallo.mp3
-- posted at: 12:22pm EDT
Wed, 20 November 2019
This week on Heavy Hands... we're FREEEEEE! Laughing and playing, frolicking like free-spirited children, yippeeeee!
Well, almost. Before enjoying these precious few weeks without a UFC event, we break down some of the (mostly abysmal) UFC Sao Paulo card, and then it's on to discussing our first juicy topic in what feels like forever.
- How do the GOATs of each division stack up against the current champions? Could Fedor beat Stipe? Could a prime Andy beat Adesanya? Would BJ Penn even survive a fight with Khabib (lol)?
- Jan Blachowicz and Jacare Souza conspired to shit the bed together, in the worst main event of the year. How did they cancel one another out so completely?
- Would it be sadder if Shogun Rua lost to Paul Craig, or if he won? Wrong.
- Bless Charles Oliveira for doing his best to save the card with a sensational (and remarkably technical) KO
Direct download: 291_Sao_Paulo_and_the_GOATs.mp3
-- posted at: 10:56am EDT
Wed, 13 November 2019
Compared to UFC Moscow, next week's Sao Paulo card really isn't bad. It's not great, but hey--it is the last UFC show of the month, after which will follow several episodes about the weather till things pick up again in December.
- Is Jacare Souza another middleweight destined for light heavyweight greatness, or is he ten years too far behind Luke Rockhold to survive the power of Jan of Rivia
- Shogun Rua is still fighting. Shogun Rua's recent record holds up remarkably well. Light heavyweight is a wasteland. Shogun Rua will probably win this fight. That is all. Skip this part of the episode
- Previewing three solid prelims: Sergio Moraes vs James Krause, Francisco Trinaldo vs Bobby Green, and Warlley Alves vs Randy Brown
- How Zabit beat Calvin, Ed Herman's savvy veteran win, and more
Direct download: 290_Phoning_it_in.mp3
-- posted at: 11:02am EDT
Wed, 6 November 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we're feeling inspired by the many dramatic performances of UFC 244, but before any of that, we simply have to talk about next weekend's main event.
- Can Zabit chop Kattar's legs out from under him? And how good, exactly, is Kattar's defensive wrestling?
- We guessed that Jorge Masvidal would appear to be slightly better at everything Nate Diaz wanted to do. In a stunning turn of events, we were kinda right
- Everyone was bored by Till vs Gastelum, but listen, damnit: Darren Till SHOWED UP
- STEPHEN THOMPSON. WONDERMAN FOREVER. GREATEST KICKBOXER IN HUMAN HISTORY
- Kevin Lee killed a man
Direct download: 289_Zabit_vs_Kattar_and_UFC_244.mp3
-- posted at: 3:40pm EDT
Wed, 30 October 2019
This week on Heavy Hands: UFC 244. That's it. Finally, we've got a card so strong we literally have no reason to discuss anything else. It feels good. On this episode we're covering...
- Was Nate Diaz showing his age in his last fight, and is there any reason to pick him over this newer, exceptionally more violent Jorge Masvidal?
- Kelvin Gastelum and Darren Till, two men defined by their limitations. I don't know what that says about the fight, but it sure sounds smart
- Could a loss to Gregor Gillespie break Kevin Lee once and for all?
- Corey Anderson seems perfectly designed to beat Johnny Walker, which is precisely why Johnny Walker is gonna knock him out with a flying bicycle kick in 20 seconds. Don't even listen to this segment. That's what's gonna happen
- Plus: Burgos vs Amirkhani, Arce vs Dawodu, Connor vs Phil's livelihood
Direct download: 288_UFC_244.mp3
-- posted at: 1:08pm EDT
Wed, 23 October 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we're keeping things simple. No cramming to keep up with the schedule--instead, we're focusing solely on the big fights, including one from the main card of the upcoming (and absolutely stacked) UFC 244.
- Has Demian Maia finally found the wrestler he can beat, or is the old man doomed to stall out on another 10,000 single legs?
- Rory MacDonald is rematching Douglas Lima. We wish he weren't, but here we are
- The Stephen Thompson PR defense squad unites against the forces of evil (Lucas Bourdon, Anthony Pettis, etc). Vicente Luque has the power, but does he have the pressure to back it up?
Direct download: 287_THREE_BIG_FIGHTS.mp3
-- posted at: 8:15pm EDT
Wed, 16 October 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we're breaking down Chris Weidman's long overdue (but likely ill-fated) light heavyweight debut, recapping Joanna Jedrzejczyk's dominant win over Michelle Waterson, and tearing our eyes away from the UFC hypno toad just long enough to mention Demetrious Johnson's win over Danny Kingad.
- Chris Weidman probably waited too long for this move up in weight--but then, Dominick Reyes has pretty much never fought a wrestler
- Jeremy Stephens vs Yair Rodriguez, abridged edition. Check out episode 281 for our original breakdown
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk brought back some of the old aggression, and revealed that, apparently, Mike Winkeljohn's fighters don't have very good boxing
- CHITO. VERA. He's getting better, bantamweights, and you're next
- And much more. Too much more, really. We need help.
Direct download: 286_CHITOOOOO_VERAAAAAA.mp3
-- posted at: 2:14pm EDT
Wed, 9 October 2019
Israel Adesanya did it, folks. He did beautifully, and brutally, and yes, our hearts are still pretty much broken but there's so much to talk about on this week's episode of Heavy Hands! We've got...
- What was Robert Whittaker thinking, and where did he go wrong?
- How does Israel Adesanya stack up against his future challenges?
- Dan Hooker's long guard, and his hidden right hand
- Is Joanna Jedrzejczyk still an easy pick over Michelle Waterson, or has something changed?
- Plus: previewing Chito Vera vs Andre Ewell, Deiveson Figueiredo vs Tim Elliott, and Niko Price vs James Vick!
Direct download: 285_All_Hail_Adesanya.mp3
-- posted at: 1:35pm EDT
Thu, 3 October 2019
In case you didn't notice, Heavy Hands was a little late this week. We did record a phenomenal discussion of Robert Whittaker vs Israel Adesanya on Tuesday, but one power outage and a night wracked by evil dreams later, it was all gone. So we rescheduled, and did the damn thing over again, including:
- Literally nothing else from UFC 243
- Almost everything from last weekend's UFC Copenhagen
Direct download: 284_The_Whittaker_x_Adesanya_do_over.mp3
-- posted at: 4:25pm EDT
Wed, 25 September 2019
We've gotten so used to the thin gruel the UFC is usually spooning out that, when we saw UFC Copenhagen sitting on the table in front of us--I'll admit--we went a little overboard, and tried to cover everything. Unbuckle your belt and enjoy the smorgasbord with us. There will be coffee after.
- What makes Jared Cannonier so dangerous at middleweight, and does Jack Hermansson have the well-rounded skillset to thwart him?
- Gunnar Nelson vs Gilbert Burns, aka SBG vs Team Evil.
- Michael Oleksiejczuk, a new light heavyweight who may in fact be Actually Good, takes on Ovince Saint Preux, who defiantly Isn't
- Nicolas Dalby returns! (to be sacrificed at the altar of athleticism)
- And a few quick words about the fantastic fight between Carla Esparza and Alexa Grasso, and the aborted one between Yair Rodriguez and Jeremy Stephens
Direct download: 282_Finally.mp3
-- posted at: 3:04pm EDT
Wed, 18 September 2019
The fight cards stay thin, but this one has quite the layer of cream on top. Is that... is that gross? It's gross, isn't it.
On this week's ep:
- Rodriguez vs Stephens: whose footwork breaks down first?
- Grasso vs Esparza: can body shots really stop the (second) most determined wrestler at strawweight?
- Justin Gaethje's approach surprised most of us, but was it really misguided? Either way... wild man's got tricks
- Michel Pereira cheated his way to the funniest loss in MMA history. Tristan Connelly is a blue collar god
- And more!
Direct download: 281_Two_Killer_Style_Matchups.mp3
-- posted at: 12:53pm EDT
Wed, 11 September 2019
... now Fortis MMA is my best friend.
No, but seriously. UFC 242 didn't teach us anything new about Khabib Nurmagomedov (who is probably now the #1 p4p fighter in the world), but it gave us a whole lot to think about. Oh, and Justin Gaethje's fighting next week. On today's episode of Heavy Hands:
- What was up with Dustin Poirier? Freaked out? Ill prepared? Or just unsuited for the matchup?
- Paul Felder and Carlos Diego Ferreira both showed new skills and excellent gameplans, giving us the card's two best feelgood performances
- Is Justin Gaethje a bad matchup for Donald Cerrone? Yeah... yeah, probably
- Teixeira vs Krylov and Crute vs Cirkunov: alright, so maybe light heavyweight isn't getting better, after all
- ... and more!
Direct download: 280_Friendship_Ended_with_ATT.mp3
-- posted at: 12:20pm EDT
Wed, 4 September 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we talk for a long time. A very long time, and mostly just about one fight. But can you blame us? It's Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Dustin Poirier, and we're kind of excited. Our topics:
- What's wrong with Khabib's striking, and how does he make it work so well?
- The evolution of Dustin Poirier, and the tests he's passed on the way here
- Paul Felder and Edson Barboza take on one of our favorite questions in their rematch: do style matchups ever change?
- Mairbek Taisumov is fighting a maniacal brawler. Take that in.
- How Weili Zhang wrested the title from Jessica Andrade, but more importantly, THE LEEEEECCCCCHHHH
Direct download: 279_Dagestan_vs_the_Diamond.mp3
-- posted at: 6:36pm EDT
Wed, 28 August 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we break down the upcoming fight between Jessica Andrade and Weili Zhang, chitter excitedly about Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos vs the Leech, and then get optimistic about the near future of the UFC's infamously abysmal light heavyweight division.
Direct download: 278_uuuuugggghhhh.mp3
-- posted at: 1:16pm EDT
Tue, 20 August 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we've got one of the best events of the year to discuss, and--would you believe it--no terrible fight night card to preview! UFC 241 delivered, and so have we:
- What adjustments did Stipe Miocic make for the rematch, and did any of them matter more than his seemingly impromptu decision to just whack Daniel Cormier's ribs until he was done
- Nate Diaz looked rusty, Anthony Pettis looked surprisingly good, and then Nate Diaz won anyway
- Borrachinha vs Romero, Yusuff vs Benitez--two thrilling fights in which everyone did their absolute best
- Kai Asakura teaches us about the risks of Kyoji Horiguchi's hybrid style, and Casey Kenney does his Frankie Edgar thing against a much bigger man
Direct download: 277_All_the_UFC_241.mp3
-- posted at: 9:18pm EDT
Fri, 16 August 2019
Connor and Phil talk themselves into a dire realization regarding Derek Brunson and Ian Heinisch.
This is a teaser for our latest bonus ep, which you can find on the Heavy Hands Patreon. In the full episode, we also break down the upcoming Gabriel Benitez vs Sodiq Yusuff, and give our thoughts on Valentina Shevchenko's SCINTILLATING win over Liz Carmouche.
Direct download: bonus_42_teaser.mp3
Category:Bonus Episode Teasers
-- posted at: 12:02pm EDT
Wed, 14 August 2019
You know how the cards have been absolutely whack for the last few weeks? Well, this is why. This week on Heavy Hands, we're breaking down the big fights of UFC 241.
- How much does DC's win over Stipe tell us about a rematch?
- Can Nate Diaz do what he did to Cowboy Cerrone to one of the few guys who absolutely wrecked Cowboy Cerrone?
- Yoel Romero vs Borrachinha, aka the Patrick Wyman Memorial Muscle Dude Fight. Costa's crazy aggression vs Romero's wrestling and peerless mind powers
- Assuncao vs Sandhagen--a fascinating crossroads fight at 135
Direct download: 276_Big_Bois_Big_Card.mp3
-- posted at: 2:03pm EDT
Wed, 7 August 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we are surrounded by evildoers on all sides. Colby Covington dominated Robbie Lawler; Valentina Shevchenko is probably going to dominate Liz Carmouche, just much more patiently. Topics this ep:
- Can Shevchenko master her sinister nature and bring the fight to Liz Carmouche, or are we in for a serious staring match?
- Vicente Luque is sharper, more careful, and more methodical than Mike Perry, who might still knock him out. FIIIIRE
- Does Volkan Oezdemir have the takedown defense to stop Ilir Latifi doing his best Cormier impression?
- After shutting out Robbie Lawler, is it time to ask whether Covington might even be a tough fight for the likes of Kamaru Usman?
Direct download: 275_Two_Evils.mp3
-- posted at: 7:28pm EDT
Wed, 31 July 2019
This week on Heavy Hands, we're breaking down Lawler vs Covington, and making ourselves a little sad in the process. That, and a look back at UFC 240.
- Does Robbie Lawler still have the anti-wrestler skills that made him UFC champ?
- Are Joaquim Silva's durability and power enough to trouble Nasrat Haqparast
- Frankie Edgar was robbed
- Did Max Holloway show some new skills, or was his old way enough to deal with Edgar?
- Cris Cyborg narrowly survives death via heat exhaustion to secure a close decision over Felicia Spencer
- Two absolute bangers to break down: Neal-Price and Figueiredo-Pantoja
Direct download: 274_Ruthless_vs_Loveless.mp3
-- posted at: 2:01pm EDT
Wed, 24 July 2019
UFC 240 is a little thin on the ground, but the main event is something to get really excited about. Namely, a Max Holloway fight. A taste of what we talked about:
- Edgar is definitely the best wrestler Holloway will have ever faced--so why does it feel like a bad fight for Frankie?
- Felicia Spencer, and the style Cyborg has beaten several times before
- So... the flyweight division is sticking around? Well, Pantoja vs Figueiredo is a bout between two of its most exciting contenders
- Geoff Neal looks like champ material, but Niko Price is as powerful as he is weird and hittable
- Edwards defied our RDA picks and proved once again, in characteristically clinical fashion, how damn good he is
- Recapping Hooker vs Vick, Hernandez vs Trinaldo, and more
Direct download: 273_Max_vs_Frankie_and_virtually_nothing_else.mp3
-- posted at: 5:24pm EDT